Get $40 off a $40 purchase by signing up for a Target RedCard debit or credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here at TPG we generally advise against opening up store-specific credit cards, as they tend to offer inferior rewards and welcome bonuses. However, if you shop enough at the same store it might be worth running the numbers to see if a certain card makes sense for you, and the Target RedCard is a great choice.
Doctor of Credit is reporting that you can now earn $40 off a future $40 purchase when you sign up and are approved for either the credit or debit version of the Target RedCard. There’s no direct link for this offer, but you can find it at the end of this week’s Target circular or by going to Target.com/redcard. This offer is only valid from July 12 to July 26, 2020.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Given that the debit and credit versions of the RedCard are nearly identical, I would recommend picking the debit option if you plan on pursuing this offer. Both cards offer 5% off in Target stores and at Target.com. The only real difference is that one is a credit card and the other is a debit card.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to reshape consumer spending patterns across the world, people are focusing on the basics and on consolidating their shopping trips. That’s good news for a store like Target, which lets you shop for groceries, clothes and household supplies all under the same roof.
We rarely see strong rewards on debit cards, and the Target RedCard is a notable exception in this category. If you frequently shop at Target, 5% off your purchases can add up quickly.
No annual fee and 5% cash back at Target help make the RedCard one of the most rewarding debit cards on the market. While a $40 discount isn’t the highest welcome offer you can find, it’s a very solid deal for a no annual fee card. The ability to earn solid rewards and a welcome bonus on a debit card are also unique, as you don’t need to waste a credit inquiry in order to start earning rewards if you opt for the debit card instead of the credit card.
Featured image by Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/VIEWpress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.