This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has rolled out a targeted promotion allowing select cardholders to earn up to 30% in bonus miles. The promotion allows those targeted with this offer to transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles and receive bonus miles. Not every cardholder is targeted for this offer and bonus mileage varies.
The minimum bonus is 10% additional miles earned. This means that for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points transferred to a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club account, a cardholder with the 10% offer receives 1,100 miles compared to the usual 1,000 miles.
Cardholders could also receive 20-30% more miles when transferred to the Flying Club program. If targeted with the 30% bonus offer, the transfer rate is 1,300 Flying Club miles for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points.
- 10% Bonus Offer: 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,100 Flying Club Miles
- 20% Bonus Offer: 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,200 Flying Club Miles
- 30% Bonus Offer: 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,300 Flying Club Miles
- Standard Rate: 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,000 Flying Club Miles
American Express cardholders can transfer as many points to Flying Club as needed as there is not a stated maximum transfer amount. Additionally, there is no set end date for this offer at the moment. Any American Express card that earns Membership Rewards points is eligible assuming the cardholder has been targeted for this offer. This includes The Platinum Card® from American Express and newly launched American Express® Gold Card.
As for redeeming Flying Club miles, Virgin Atlantic has a full award flight redemption chart available to the public. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is especially valuable for transatlantic business class redemptions. Virgin Atlantic Upper Class is one of the best all-around business class products at the moment thanks to the airline’s beautiful Upper Class wing at London-Heathrow (LHR), The Clubhouse at LHR and the airline’s consistent in-flight service.
Award flights start at 10,000 miles one-way, plus $185 in taxes, fees and surcharges. Upper Class (business class) award flights start at 37,200 miles one-way, plus $340 in taxes, fees and surcharges. Below is the current award flight chart. Note that all values are for round-trip flights. Virgin Atlantic notes that one-way flights are simply any value or amount divided by two.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel