This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada’s current frequent flyer program partner Aeroplan periodically offers bonuses for transferring hotel points to its mileage program. In the past, the bonuses have ranged anywhere between 25% and 35%. And now, the program is back with another one of these promotions.
Now through August 20, you can earn a 30% bonus when converting points from nine qualifying hotel partners to Aeroplan miles. The transfer bonuses aren’t tiered, but you must convert enough points to earn at least 5,000 Aeroplan miles.
There are two big differences between this promotion and previous versions. First, Marriott and SPG conversions are explicitly excluded from this promotion. Additionally, this is the first time Aeroplan is offering bonus miles for conversions from IHG Rewards.
Not all partners transfer to Aeroplan evenly, so it takes a bit of math to figure out which partners you might want to consider. Based on the latest TPG valuations, Aeroplan miles are worth 1.5 cents per mile. So, you’re not going to want to give up much more than that in value to get an Aeroplan mile. We crunched the numbers — here’s the breakdown by program:
|Transfer Partner||Standard Ratio||Max Effective
per transferred point
Per Aeroplan Mile
|Best Western Rewards||5:1||100:26||0.7 cents||2.69 cents|
|Choice Privileges||5:1||100:26||0.6 cents||2.31 cents|
|Gold Circle (Shangri-La)||1:1||100:130||N/A||N/A|
|Hilton Honors||10:1||100:13||0.6 cents||4.62 cents|
|IHG Rewards||5:1||100:26||0.6 cents||2.31 cents|
|Le Club AccorHotels||2:1||100:65||N/A||N/A|
|Radisson Rewards||10:1||100:13||0.4 cents||3.08 cents|
|Wyndham Rewards||5:1||100:26||1.2 cents||4.62 cents|
In all cases, you’ll be giving up some value when transferring points to Aeroplan. However, it’s possible to significantly increase the value of your Aeroplan miles by taking advantage of the sweet spots in the program’s award chart. As a member of Star Alliance, Aeroplan provides opportunities for some excellent redemptions, such as Lufthansa first class awards to Europe for 70,000 Aeroplan miles one-way, Swiss business class awards to Europe for 55,000 miles one-way and Asiana first class awards to Asia for 105,000 Aeroplan miles one-way.
As a reminder, Air Canada will cut ties with Aeroplan in June 2020, so it may become difficult to use Aeroplan miles then. While it’s possible to get solid value from your points through this promotion, we never recommend transferring points or miles until you have a specific redemption in mind.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees