Get 2,500 Rapid Rewards Points If You Have to Wait More Than 10 Minutes at TSA PreCheck
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is running a new offer that’s awarding bonus points to passengers who have PreCheck if they’re in line at the security check point for more than 10 minutes.
The low-cost carrier, which has rapidly been expanding its presence in California, is currently running this offer only at Oakland International Airport (OAK). With it, if you wait in the TSA PreCheck line for more than 10 minutes, Southwest will give you 2,500 Rapid Rewards points. If you do find yourself at OAK, flying with Southwest and a carrier of PreCheck who has waited for more than 10 minutes, approach a Southwest supervisor and ask for your 2,500 points. “No proof of an extended wait is required,” said Southwest Chief Revenue Officer Andrew Watterson.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 2,500 bonus Rapid Rewards points are worth $38. So, if you are traveling through OAK with Southwest and have PreCheck, this is an offer that could well be worth taking advantage of. You might even hope to find a longer line at PreCheck in order to take advantage of the offer.
Note that this offer at OAK will only last through June 29, 2018. If the program is successful at OAK, Watterson says that it could expand to other airports.
Southwest told TravelSkills that it’s running this offer in an effort to get people to fly on its short-haul routes. “After 9/11, long- and medium-haul travel came back, but short-haul travel has never fully recovered,” Watterson said. “With PreCheck, ride-sharing and other advances, the pain points of business travel are not what they used to be. We want to draw attention to that by making this guarantee.”
While this offer won’t be around forever — only until June 29 — it’s clear the emphasis Southwest is placing on its California destinations. Specifically at OAK, where Southwest also announced earlier this month would be one of the first four cities to operate with service to Hawaii. The other three cities — San Diego (SAN), Sacramento (SMF) and San Jose (SJC) — are also in California.
Image by Tomás Del Coro / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.