This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is running a new offer that’s awarding bonus points to passengers who have PreCheck if they’re in line at the security check point for more than 10 minutes.
The low-cost carrier, which has rapidly been expanding its presence in California, is currently running this offer only at Oakland International Airport (OAK). With it, if you wait in the TSA PreCheck line for more than 10 minutes, Southwest will give you 2,500 Rapid Rewards points. If you do find yourself at OAK, flying with Southwest and a carrier of PreCheck who has waited for more than 10 minutes, approach a Southwest supervisor and ask for your 2,500 points. “No proof of an extended wait is required,” said Southwest Chief Revenue Officer Andrew Watterson.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 2,500 bonus Rapid Rewards points are worth $38. So, if you are traveling through OAK with Southwest and have PreCheck, this is an offer that could well be worth taking advantage of. You might even hope to find a longer line at PreCheck in order to take advantage of the offer.
Note that this offer at OAK will only last through June 29, 2018. If the program is successful at OAK, Watterson says that it could expand to other airports.
Southwest told TravelSkills that it’s running this offer in an effort to get people to fly on its short-haul routes. “After 9/11, long- and medium-haul travel came back, but short-haul travel has never fully recovered,” Watterson said. “With PreCheck, ride-sharing and other advances, the pain points of business travel are not what they used to be. We want to draw attention to that by making this guarantee.”
While this offer won’t be around forever — only until June 29 — it’s clear the emphasis Southwest is placing on its California destinations. Specifically at OAK, where Southwest also announced earlier this month would be one of the first four cities to operate with service to Hawaii. The other three cities — San Diego (SAN), Sacramento (SMF) and San Jose (SJC) — are also in California.
Image by Tomás Del Coro / Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees