This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Someone better call up Augustus Gloop. In what looks like a scene out of “Willy Wonka” gone wrong, 25 firefighters were called in to clean up a massive chocolate spill in the town of Westoennen, Germany.
At around 8pm Monday, liquid chocolate began to pour out of the DreiMeister chocolate factory in the Werl suburb. Due to the chilly temperatures in Germany this time of year, it froze and created a “ten-square-meter choco-pancake,” according to the fire department. The statement also urged chocolate lovers to “stay strong” before reading further — they take their chocolate very seriously around here.
So much so, in fact, that the incident could have “been a catastrophe” had it happened closer to Christmas, said the Washington Post. They reassured residents that a chocolate-free Christmas from the “heartbreaking incident” was “highly unlikely.”
The streets were closed for about two hours while firefighters cleaned up the mess with shovels and muscle power — oh, and plenty of warm water.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees