This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Someone better call up Augustus Gloop. In what looks like a scene out of “Willy Wonka” gone wrong, 25 firefighters were called in to clean up a massive chocolate spill in the town of Westoennen, Germany.
At around 8pm Monday, liquid chocolate began to pour out of the DreiMeister chocolate factory in the Werl suburb. Due to the chilly temperatures in Germany this time of year, it froze and created a “ten-square-meter choco-pancake,” according to the fire department. The statement also urged chocolate lovers to “stay strong” before reading further — they take their chocolate very seriously around here.
So much so, in fact, that the incident could have “been a catastrophe” had it happened closer to Christmas, said the Washington Post. They reassured residents that a chocolate-free Christmas from the “heartbreaking incident” was “highly unlikely.”
The streets were closed for about two hours while firefighters cleaned up the mess with shovels and muscle power — oh, and plenty of warm water.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards