25 Firefighters Had to Clean up a 108-Square-Foot ‘Chocolate Pancake’ After It Leaked From a German Factory
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Someone better call up Augustus Gloop. In what looks like a scene out of “Willy Wonka” gone wrong, 25 firefighters were called in to clean up a massive chocolate spill in the town of Westoennen, Germany.
At around 8pm Monday, liquid chocolate began to pour out of the DreiMeister chocolate factory in the Werl suburb. Due to the chilly temperatures in Germany this time of year, it froze and created a “ten-square-meter choco-pancake,” according to the fire department. The statement also urged chocolate lovers to “stay strong” before reading further — they take their chocolate very seriously around here.
So much so, in fact, that the incident could have “been a catastrophe” had it happened closer to Christmas, said the Washington Post. They reassured residents that a chocolate-free Christmas from the “heartbreaking incident” was “highly unlikely.”
The streets were closed for about two hours while firefighters cleaned up the mess with shovels and muscle power — oh, and plenty of warm water.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees