25 Firefighters Had to Clean up a 108-Square-Foot ‘Chocolate Pancake’ After It Leaked From a German Factory
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Someone better call up Augustus Gloop. In what looks like a scene out of “Willy Wonka” gone wrong, 25 firefighters were called in to clean up a massive chocolate spill in the town of Westoennen, Germany.
At around 8pm Monday, liquid chocolate began to pour out of the DreiMeister chocolate factory in the Werl suburb. Due to the chilly temperatures in Germany this time of year, it froze and created a “ten-square-meter choco-pancake,” according to the fire department. The statement also urged chocolate lovers to “stay strong” before reading further — they take their chocolate very seriously around here.
So much so, in fact, that the incident could have “been a catastrophe” had it happened closer to Christmas, said the Washington Post. They reassured residents that a chocolate-free Christmas from the “heartbreaking incident” was “highly unlikely.”
The streets were closed for about two hours while firefighters cleaned up the mess with shovels and muscle power — oh, and plenty of warm water.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.