Earn a 25% bonus when transferring Amex Membership Rewards to Hawaiian Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is back with another incentive to move your points to one of its transfer partners.
Amex is now offering a 25% bonus when transferring American Express Membership Rewards points to Hawaiian Airlines’ HawaiianMiles mileage program. This is similar to the promo that’s been run once a year for the past four years — each of which has offered a 25% bonus. To qualify for the bonus, you’ll need to transfer your points by Oct. 7, 2019.
Normally you can convert Membership Rewards points to HawaiianMiles at a 1:1 ratio, although you have to transfer points in increments of 1,000 points. With the new incentive, you can convert 1,000 Amex points to 1,250 HawaiianMiles.
Hawaiian Airlines doesn’t have the strongest award chart but it can make more sense to redeem through them with this bonus. In April 2019, HawaiianMiles moved to a variable award chart and created different award charts for West Coast vs. East Coast — which eliminated some sweet spots.
You can fly from the mainland U.S. to Hawaii from as little as 35,000 miles round-trip in coach and 80,000 miles round-trip in first class. That means you’d only need to transfer 28,000 Amex MR for a round-trip economy award and 64,000 points for a round-trip first-class award.
Flying inter-island would only run you 15,000 miles or 12,000 Amex MR for a round-trip coach award.
Earlier this year, TPG’s Wallace Cotton flew on Hawaiian’s A330 on what is now the longest U.S. domestic flight. He found that Hawaiian offered incredible service with excellent attention to detail, but the inflight entertainment system had some flaws.
On the way back to the mainland U.S., he flew in economy on the same aircraft type and found it to be a positive experience.
Hawaiian has a handful of partners that you can use its miles on like Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, Korean Air and JetBlue. Unfortunately its partner award charts aren’t anything spectacular, but there are a few silver linings.
You can fly between the East Coast and U.K. on Virgin Atlantic for 60,000 HawaiianMiles round-trip in economy, or 48,000 Amex MR with the transfer bonus. The best part is that Hawaiian doesn’t pass on the hefty fuel surcharges that Virgin normally charges.
Additional reporting by JT Genter
Featured photo courtesy of Hilton Hawaiian Village
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees