Earn 20 AA Miles per Dollar While Supporting Breast Cancer Research
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Looking to work toward a minimum spend, top up your American Airlines AAdvantage account or donate to charity? American Airlines just launched a way for you to do all three at once: donate through its Miles for the Cure program and get 20x miles for your donation.
Here’s how it works. You donate $25 or more to Susan G. Komen through American Airlines’ Miles for the Cure program by Oct. 31 through this link. Your donation will go to the Susan G. Komen Young Investigators Grant program, which supports research for metastatic breast cancer. Then, American Airlines will give you 20 AAdvantage miles for every dollar you donate.
Besides donating toward breast cancer research, here are a few other reasons you might want to donate through this campaign:
- Finish off a minimum spend requirement to earn a credit-card sign-up bonus
- Work toward a spending threshold on a credit card
- Keep your AAdvantage account from expiring if you don’t have an easy way of generating activity
The terms and conditions for this promotion are relatively straightforward. The bonus miles don’t count toward elite-status qualification, it may take up to eight weeks for the bonus miles to appear in your account and each donor can earn a maximum of 600,000 miles in a 12-month period. For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at three cents per mile.
TPG‘s latest valuations peg the value of AAdvantage miles at 1.4 cents per points. At that rate, the 20x bonus gets you an effective 28% return on your donation before even considering the points or miles you’ll earn from the credit card purchase.
Unless you’re working toward a minimum spending requirement on a specific credit card, you’ll want to use a credit card that’s good for charitable donations such as The Blue Business®️ Plus Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50k of spending per year; then 1x), Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% cash back) or Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card (2.63% cashback if you have substantial assets with BOA or Merrill Lynch).
And, if you’re looking for other donation opportunities, TPG‘s Prizeo campaign with Make-A-Wish offers packages that not only get you a bunch of chances to win a million United miles but also include a ticket to the first TPG Awards this December.
Featured image by Hero Images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees