Earn 20 AA Miles per Dollar While Supporting Breast Cancer Research
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Looking to work toward a minimum spend, top up your American Airlines AAdvantage account or donate to charity? American Airlines just launched a way for you to do all three at once: donate through its Miles for the Cure program and get 20x miles for your donation.
Here’s how it works. You donate $25 or more to Susan G. Komen through American Airlines’ Miles for the Cure program by Oct. 31 through this link. Your donation will go to the Susan G. Komen Young Investigators Grant program, which supports research for metastatic breast cancer. Then, American Airlines will give you 20 AAdvantage miles for every dollar you donate.
Besides donating toward breast cancer research, here are a few other reasons you might want to donate through this campaign:
- Finish off a minimum spend requirement to earn a credit-card sign-up bonus
- Work toward a spending threshold on a credit card
- Keep your AAdvantage account from expiring if you don’t have an easy way of generating activity
The terms and conditions for this promotion are relatively straightforward. The bonus miles don’t count toward elite-status qualification, it may take up to eight weeks for the bonus miles to appear in your account and each donor can earn a maximum of 600,000 miles in a 12-month period. For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at three cents per mile.
TPG‘s latest valuations peg the value of AAdvantage miles at 1.4 cents per points. At that rate, the 20x bonus gets you an effective 28% return on your donation before even considering the points or miles you’ll earn from the credit card purchase.
Unless you’re working toward a minimum spending requirement on a specific credit card, you’ll want to use a credit card that’s good for charitable donations such as The Blue Business®️ Plus Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50k of spending per year; then 1x), Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% cash back) or Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card (2.63% cashback if you have substantial assets with BOA or Merrill Lynch).
And, if you’re looking for other donation opportunities, TPG‘s Prizeo campaign with Make-A-Wish offers packages that not only get you a bunch of chances to win a million United miles but also include a ticket to the first TPG Awards this December.
Featured image by Hero Images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.