Turbulence Leaves 2 Injured on American Airlines Flight to Dallas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two passengers on an American Airlines flight from San Luis Potosi, Mexico (SLP) en route to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) were taken to the hospital with not life threatening injuries after severe turbulence struck the aircraft, forcing it to divert to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS).
American Airlines Flight 5781 departed from San Luis Potosi (SLP) at 2:25pm local time bound for American’s hub in Dallas. The aircraft, a Bombardier CRJ-900 operated by American’s regional affiliate Mesa Airlines, navigated around the strongest storms, resulting in a rather lengthy route. As the flight neared Dallas, it encountered turbulence. The turbulence was reportedly the result of the severe weather affecting the Dallas-Forth Worth area, forcing the aircraft to divert to AUS.
Of the 79 passengers and crew aboard the flight, one passenger and one flight attendant had injuries severe enough that they sought medical treatment at a local hospital. An American Airlines spokesperson noted that the injured passenger and crew member complained of neck and knee pain.
A local NBC affiliate reported that a third passenger was also injured on the flight, though they didn’t seek medical treatment.
In a statement to KXAN, Bryce Dubee, public information specialist for City of Austin’s Department of Aviation, said that diversions like this are common during severe weather. Dubee continued saying, “Safety is a top priority in these situations when there is severe weather. Airports will work together all the time to reroute flights to divert them to keep planes moving safely.”
The uninjured passengers and crew were provided with lodging in the Austin area on Wednesday night. Passengers on AA5781 were put on flights to Dallas-Forth Worth International Airport the morning following the incident. Both passengers who received medical attention were released on Wednesday night, CNN reports.
Featured image courtesy of Mesa Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees