2 China Eastern FAs Are Facing Charges for Turtle Smuggling
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG has seen flight attendants smuggle cocaine (with one FA strapping 9 pounds to his body), $500,000 in cash and $1.4 million of heroin, but this is the first time we’ve heard of flight attendants smuggling dozens of turtles in carry-on luggage.
On May 12, two China Eastern flight attendants were about to fly from Los Angeles to China with the turtles when the TSA spotted “unusual round objects” in their carry-ons. The bags contained a total of 45 live turtles – 31 spotted turtles and 14 box turtles. Altogether, they’re worth about $40,000 in Asia, where it’s apparently popular to buy US species of turtles.
According to New York Post, “the turtles’ colorful shells are believed to bring good luck in China, and their meat supposedly increases sexual prowess when eaten.”
The China-based FAs, Huaqian Qu and Renfeng Gao, pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge, which could have gotten them up to five years in prison. They’ve been spared, though. After being ordered to leave the country within 72 hours of the incident, they were fined $5,500 each by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and sentenced to three years on probation.
According to the judge who ordered the punishment, US District Judge S. James Otero, the probation was a reasonable punishment for the flight attendants, despite prosecutors pushing for 10-month prison sentences.
H/T: AP News
Featured image by Asif Sherazi/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees