This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG has seen flight attendants smuggle cocaine (with one FA strapping 9 pounds to his body), $500,000 in cash and $1.4 million of heroin, but this is the first time we’ve heard of flight attendants smuggling dozens of turtles in carry-on luggage.
On May 12, two China Eastern flight attendants were about to fly from Los Angeles to China with the turtles when the TSA spotted “unusual round objects” in their carry-ons. The bags contained a total of 45 live turtles – 31 spotted turtles and 14 box turtles. Altogether, they’re worth about $40,000 in Asia, where it’s apparently popular to buy US species of turtles.
According to New York Post, “the turtles’ colorful shells are believed to bring good luck in China, and their meat supposedly increases sexual prowess when eaten.”
The China-based FAs, Huaqian Qu and Renfeng Gao, pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge, which could have gotten them up to five years in prison. They’ve been spared, though. After being ordered to leave the country within 72 hours of the incident, they were fined $5,500 each by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and sentenced to three years on probation.
According to the judge who ordered the punishment, US District Judge S. James Otero, the probation was a reasonable punishment for the flight attendants, despite prosecutors pushing for 10-month prison sentences.
H/T: AP News
Featured image by Asif Sherazi/Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees