This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a great way to earn some bonus miles when shopping online. Right now, you can earn up to 19 miles per dollar (or even 22 in some cases) when shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue.
If combined with American’s back-to-school bonus, you can earn up to 19 miles per dollar if you spend $350 or more at the store — since you’d receive an additional 1,500 bonus miles for the promo. If you spend $350, you’ll earn 6,750 American miles which are worth $95 according to TPG‘s latest valuations — that’s nearly a 27% return on your spend.
More interested in racking up United miles? The shopping portal is offering a similar deal for new members and those who are United MileagePlus credit card holders. If you spent $150 you’ll earn 1,000 bonus miles, plus 2,250 from the regular portal spend, or a total of 3,250 miles. That’s nearly 22 miles per dollar spent, or a 31% return.
However, if you don’t qualify for United’s new member bonus or can’t hit the $350 threshold through American, you’d still earn at least 15 miles per dollar, netting a 21% return.
Finally, if you hold The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’re eligible to receive two $50 statement credits when making a purchase at Saks Fifth Avenue. Since each credit is only available every six months, you’d only receive a max of $50 back in combination with the miles from the portal. But if you were able to maximize the American portal promo, you could potentially earn 6,750 miles for spending just $300 (effectively, after the credit posts), meaning you’d be getting a fantastic 22.5 miles per dollar spent, or a 32% return.
If you don’t have an Amex Platinum, than a card like the Chase Freedom Unlimited, The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express could make sense for the non-category bonus purchase.
H/T: TPG Reader Raymond L.
Featured image by Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees