This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you happened to be scrolling through the Internet yesterday, you probably noticed this weird shirt attached to a shirt that was popping up everywhere. You also may or may not have realized that said shirt will cost you a cool $1,290. We’re as confused as you are, but hey, Balenciaga can do whatever it wants.
That said, we can think of a few other ideas you should spend $1,300 on.
- A round-trip ticket from New York to San Francisco in JetBlue Mint ($1,197).
- A one-way ticket from Seoul to JFK in first class on Asiana ($1,300 in the form of 90,000 LifeMiles and $63 in taxes and fees).
- A round-trip ticket from New York to Los Angeles in United Polaris ($1,116).
- A night at the Retreat at the Blue Lagoon ($1,367).
- A round-trip ticket from New York to Miami in first class on American ($419) + 1 night at the W South Beach ($510) — with everything left over going to dinner at Joe’s Stone Crab.
- A one-way ticket on the weirdest (and possibly worst) business class in the world — Cubana on the Ilyushin 96 ($1,165).
- Two nights at the Beverly Hills Hotel ($745 per night).
- Two nights at the Ritz-Carlton Bali ($500+ per night).
- Two round-trip economy tickets to Athens on Emirates ($679 each).
- Three years of annual fees for the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($450 a year) or two years of annual fees for The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 a year).
- Rimowa’s Topas Aluminum 29” suitcase ($1,245).
- BLADE Bounce airport transfer ($1,325).
Then again, you could just get the shirt and justify it by putting the spend toward a new sign-up bonus, right?
Featured photo courtesy Balenciaga
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees