This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to make a few hotel bookings this month, you’ll want to do something unusual: put them on a no-annual-fee card that typically earns just 1x on travel. Why? This month only, you’ll earn 10x points on hotel purchases up to $2,500 made with your Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited card. You’ll need to book directly through the Ultimate Rewards portal, which now leans on Expedia for search results, to gain the 10x bonus.
To take advantage, visit Chase’s Ultimate Rewards portal and log in to your account. You’ll see a portal (shown above) to click into, where you’ll be able to search for hotels.
So far as we can tell, no registration is required and the offer isn’t targeted. While the offer is marketed as 10% back, you’ll actually earn 10x Ultimate Rewards points if you also have an Ultimate Rewards-earning Chase credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. Those points are exceedingly valuable when transferred to hotel and airline partners like Hyatt and United. In fact, we’ve created an exhaustive guide on redeeming those Ultimate Rewards for maximum value.
While you’ll need to make your reservations between March 1 – 31, 2019, your travel can take point at any time in the future.
The Chase Freedom card is one of the top no-annual-fee credit cards. And you don’t need to take my word for it: The Chase Freedom was a finalist in reader voting for the Best No-Fee Credit Card of the Year at the TPG Awards.
The 10x back on hotels for March is in addition to Chase’s Q1 2019 bonus categories for the Chase Freedom: gas stations, tolls and drugstores.
If you don’t yet have a Chase Freedom, there’s still time to sign up in order to take advantage. The card, which has no annual fee, currently comes with a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points if you have one of the Chase Sapphire cards) after you spend $500 in the first three months of account opening. The card is a great one to have in your wallet in order to fine tune your Ultimate Reward-earning strategy. Check out our full review of the card here.
H/T: Dan’s Deals
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards