This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last summer, American Express added a new benefit to the Platinum Card® from American Express where card holders receive a $50 statement credit for Saks Fifth Avenue purchases for each half of the year.
While it has always been possible to combine this credit with the use of a shopping portal to earn extra points, miles or cash back on the purchase, an interesting new option recently became available. American Express and Ebates now have a partnership allowing you to earn Amex Membership Rewards points by shopping through the Ebates portal. You need a new Ebates account to earn MR points instead of cash back, and you can create one through this landing page.
Earn 10x MR Points on Saks Through Ebates
Currently, Ebates is offering 10% cash back on purchases from Saks Fifth Avenue. However, Ebates users who are signed up to earn Amex MR points instead of cash back will receive 10 MR points per dollar on Saks purchases through Ebates. According to cashbackmonitor.com‘s rate history, Ebates rates for Saks have occasionally climbed as high as 14% or even 15%, though 10% has been much more common.
According to Ebates’ website, points earned from Saks purchases should be credited to your Ebates account within one week and gift card purchases are excluded.
1,500 MR Points as an Ebates Sign-Up Bonus
What’s more, new Ebates users who sign up to earn MR points instead of cash back will receive a welcome bonus of 1,500 MR points after their first purchase of $25 or more within 90 days of signing up. This means that making a $50 purchase to use your Saks credit can get you the normal 50 MR points for the purchase, 500 MR points for making the purchase through the Ebates portal, and an additional 1,500 MR points from the Ebates sign-up bonus. That’s a total of 2,050 MR points, worth $41 according to TPG’s current valuation of Membership Rewards points.
Additionally, you can stack the Ebates portal bonuses with whatever offers Saks happens to have available. For example, you can currently get free shipping with the promo code FREESHIP.
If you want to sign up for Saks’ emails, you can also get an email coupon for 10% off your order, though it could take up to 24 hours for the coupon to arrive and it’s only valid for items shipped directly by Saks. In my test, it took 3 or 4 hours for the email with the coupon code to arrive.
Using the new Ebates/Amex partnership can be a great way to get maximum value out of your biannual $50 Saks credit from the Amex Platinum. Just remember to register for the Saks credit in your Amex account before making your purchase. For details on how to register for and earn Amex MR points through Ebates, check out TPG’s article on the new Ebates/Amex partnership.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees