This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the foundational elements of the points and miles hobby is that you should maximize every online purchases by going through a shopping portal. This doesn’t just apply when buying items online; you also can score bonus points, miles or cashback on travel purchases by using shopping portals.
And today a new offer popped up that makes it especially valuable to book through a portal. Instead of the standard 2x miles you’d normally get from Marriott purchase, you can get 5x the standard rate: 10x miles per dollar spent.
In past versions of this, the terms and conditions have been short. But, there have been a lot more terms added now:
Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate) are not eligible.
Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates for Marriott Bonvoy members (e.g. Marriott Bonvoy offer discount, Marriott Bonvoy™ offer package), with the exception of Marriott Bonvoy Member rates are not eligible. Rooms that are booked or upgraded and paid for using redeemed Marriott Bonvoy Points are not eligible.
Brands: Rooms booked at the brands Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Design Hotels, Bulgari, Atlantis, Autograph Collection, Bulgari Hotel, London, Joshua G.E. Medical Corp. Conference Center, Jesse Jones Rotary Conference Center, Marriott Ranch, Protea Hotel Amani Beach, Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins, The Ritz-Carlton London, U.S. Postal Service Conference Center, Four Points by Sheraton Havana, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, Autograph Collection are not eligible.
Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.
At current TPG valuations, AAdvantage miles are valued at 1.4 cents each. At a 10x rate, you’re getting around a 14% return on your spending. Even better, this is in addition to the Marriott points that you’d earn otherwise from the stay. Since you’re booking directly with Marriott — instead of an Online Travel Agency (OTA) — you’ll earn stay credits and get valuable elite benefits.
While AAdvantage is certainly the most valuable option, there’s other elevated shopping portal bonus payouts for Marriott purchases:
- United (credit cardholders): 5x — typically 2x
- Delta: 4x — typically 1x
- United (non-cardholders): 3x — typically 1x
If you’re just looking to maximize your cashback, you can get 10% cashback through Ebates. But with Ebates’ new partnership with American Express Membership Rewards, that 10% cashback can be converted into points — earning you 10x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at Marriott. Since Membership Rewards points are worth 2 cents each, that equates to a fantastic 20% return. Just note that you have to sign up as a new Ebates member to be eligible to earn Membership Rewards points through the portal.
Other cashback options include 8% cashback from Mr. Rebates:
And 6% cashback through the Citi Bonus Cash Center:
Many of these portal bonuses have a stated end date, meaning that these offers can change at anytime. So, if you’re looking to book (or re-book) a Marriott stay at these elevated rates, don’t delay.
When you do, make sure that you’re putting the purchase on the right credit card to further maximize your earnings. That means checking your American Express cards for Amex Offers and Chase cards for Chase Offers. If you don’t have any offers, use a card that maximizes hotel spend:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel, 6% return)
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (6x points at Marriott hotels, 5.4% return)
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card (6x points at Marriott hotels, 5.4% return)
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (6x points at Marriott hotels, 5.4% return)
- Citi Prestige Card (3x on hotels, 5.1%)
- Citi Premier Card (3x on travel, 5.1%)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel, 4%)
Feature image by Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Limited Time Offer! Earn 100,000 points with this card after spending $5,000 within the first 3 months. TPG values 100K Bonvoy points to be worth around $900. Aside from the huge welcome offer you'll earn up to $300 in statement credits each year and 1 free night every year after cardmember anniversary.
- Limited time offer: Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 4/24/2019.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees