This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s as hard to resist as those free in-flight snacks. We’re talking about the urge to pillage your junk and streamline your life. And that desire is in large part thanks to one woman in particular: Marie Kondo.
For the unfamiliar, Kondo is a joy-sparking “tidying expert,” best-selling author, star of the Netflix hit show, “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo,” and founder of the KonMari media brand and lifestyle. According to her bio, Kondo has been “enchanted with organizing” since childhood and started the tidying revolution as a 19-year-old university student in Tokyo.
In her No. 1 New York Times best-selling book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up,” Kondo proselytizes that, “if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.” Well, where do we sign up?
Kondo, who has helped people around the world “transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration,” is based in Los Angeles and mindfully manages (no surprise there) a tight business travel schedule between California, New York and Tokyo — which is why we tapped her to help us do the same thing with our suitcases.
Here’s what she had to say when it comes to giving her own luggage (Rimowa, in case you’re wondering) the KonMari treatment:
Pack items standing up in the suitcase.
“This creates more space, allows you to see your items easily without needing to dig through your bag, and keeps your clothing in good condition (read: less wrinkles).”
Clothing made from delicate materials should be packed in a bag.
“Perfect for evening wear or lingerie. If the fabric is very thin and silky, try rolling it instead of folding to prevent wrinkling.”
Put small items like jewelry, toiletries and makeup in separate pouches.
“Jewelry should be packed in a compact case — designed specifically for jewelry — to separate rings, earrings, etc. and keep them untangled. Put the lotions, toners and other liquids into reusable, carry-on sized bottles. Then put these in a waterproof pouch. (Although a zippered plastic bag works, it’s better to use a reusable pouch with a design that sparks joy.) Pack shoes separately [to prevent] the dirt on the sole from soiling the other shoe.”
Keep a separate toiletry kit for traveling.
“This saves time that would otherwise be spent unpacking and repacking everyday use items. Additionally, having a second set of bathroom products ensures that you don’t leave behind a toothbrush or contact lens case that you might use the morning of takeoff. Keep these items in a small pouch or box in the corner of a cabinet or drawer for easy access when packing for a trip!”
Leave 10 to 20% of the room in the suitcase empty.
“Space for joy-sparking souvenirs!”
All images courtesy of KonMari Media, Inc.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees