What’s covered by the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant’s $300 credit?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s Note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new card details and information.
One of the most valuable benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card is its up to $300 annual Marriott Bonvoy statement credit for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program. By maxing this out, cardholders can effectively drop the out-of-pocket cost for the card from $450 (See rates & fees) to $150. But part of taking full advantage of this fantastic benefit is knowing which purchases will and won’t qualify for the credit.
What Marriott purchases typically trigger the credit?
Of course, just because the temporary promotion is ending doesn’t mean the credit becomes useless. A wide range of Marriott purchases will trigger the credit.
As the name implies, this credit was designed to cover all types of Marriott purchases charged to the card. This credit applies to everything from incidentals during stays, such as meals and spa services, to room rates themselves. Although not specifically mentioned in the terms, there are a number of data points that suggest that Marriott gift card purchases are also included. Incidentals that can’t be billed to your room, such as gift shop purchases, are typically excluded.
To ensure the credit applies, charge the stay and any applicable incidentals to your Bonvoy Brilliant card. You’ll earn 6x Marriott points on eligible purchases made at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program, plus a 25% bonus points as a Gold elite member — a complimentary benefit of the Bonvoy Brilliant card. Similar to Amex’s airline fee credits, if you’re considering purchasing gift cards to trigger the credit, you must do so either at a Marriott Bonvoy property or through Marriott’s site — not through a third party. According to the data points, both physical and digital gift cards work, but be warned that not all Marriott properties sell gift cards. Enrollment required for select benefits.
The $300 credit is available beginning your first year of cardmembership and renews each year on the anniversary of your account opening date. The cards’ terms and conditions state that it could take eight to 12 weeks for the credit to appear on your statement, but TPG readers report that it’s visible just days after making an eligible charge.
Related reading: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card review
Given that this credit applies not just to incidentals charged to the room, but also for room rates and gift cards, this benefit is almost as good as cash for anyone who spends at least $300 per year on Marriott stays. You can squeeze even more value out of it by stacking it with the card’s annual free night award (up to 50,000 points). Before even factoring in card’s other benefits or welcome bonus of 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points and a bonus free night award (redemption level worth up to 85,000 Marriott points) after you use your new card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Resort fees may apply. Offer expires 11/3/2021.. Maximizing these two benefits alone can make the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card pay for itself year after year.
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Aside from the welcome offer you'll earn up to $300 in statement credits each year at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program and 1 free night (worth up to 50k points) every year after your cardmember anniversary. Terms apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points and a bonus Free Night Award after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Resort fees may apply. Terms apply. Offer expires 11/3/2021.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $450 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees