This travel sweatshirt inspired by a kangaroo has divided the TPG office
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you work at The Points Guy, there are a few topics that frequently come up in conversation — “Where will you travel next?” for example, or, “I’m really close to hitting my minimum spend,” and, of course, “You have how many points?!”
No, this was a debate about a sweatshirt inspired by a kangaroo.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Touted as a two-in-one, brushed-knit polyester spandex travel sweatshirt, it folds into itself to become a pillow. It’s very soft to the touch and has a plush lining. For a very versatile sweatshirt and pillow (sweatillow?) it’s lightweight, claims to be wrinkle-resistant and is pretty cozy.
It even has a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) blocking pocket to ensure that no one steals your passport or credit card information.
This tech doesn’t come cheap, of course. The sweatshirt costs $75, but you can get 10% off by signing up with your email online. You can buy directly through Loungaroo’s site, or on retailers such as Amazon. And yes — you can get free, two-day shipping with Amazon Prime.
Since you’ll be charged over $10 for shipping via Loungaroo’s site, you’ll get the best deal by purchasing through Amazon.
We actually reviewed a travel blanket from Loungaroo (read: Lounge-a-roo) last year, and while it looked absolutely ridiculous, it was comfortable and “a dream to wear.”
So, what about the brand’s new sweatshirt made it so controversial?
Well, for starters, it’s not exactly flattering. Unlike the travel blanket, you’re supposed to actually wear this in public, yet it didn’t have much stretch to it — especially in areas where it should. I’ll stick to my Lululemon, personally, thank you very much.
The concept of a “kangaroo pouch” pocket with RFID-blocking technology and a zipper to secure your valuables is clever. After all, how many times have you slipped your phone into a front pocket only to have it slide right out the other side?
Travelers who are already carrying a purse or a backpack might find this pocket is a little redundant — and it sure looks silly when it’s loaded up with your phone, wallet, passport, boarding pass, hand sanitizer, spare face mask and other travel essentials.
But TPG’s executive editorial director, Scott Mayerowitz, completely disagreed. Yes, he said, the sweatshirt looked a bit awkward with the front pocket (do people ever want to look like a kangaroo?) but decided it was comfortable and practical — especially the aforementioned pouch.
Photo editor Wyatt Smith said he fell somewhere in the middle. He thinks it’s “fine, but not flattering.”
“I probably wouldn’t wear it,” he said.
If you don’t fill up the front pocket, though, it can be a comfortable, functional sweatshirt perfect for air travel — and starring in videos about passengers behaving badly on airplanes.
The one thing we could all agree on, though, was that it looks adorable with office pup Skippy in it.
Overall, the office verdict was that the Loungaroo sweatshirt looks, well, bizarre. It’s undoubtedly soft and comfortable, and might be even more practical in its pillow form. But the jury’s still out on whether it qualifies as airport chic.
Would you wear this Loungaroo sweatshirt?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees