This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The largest barrier to maximizing your points and miles is typically the hurdle of finding award availability. There are two solutions to overcoming this problem: paying an award booking service to deal with it for you or putting significant effort into understanding tools and patterns of award availability. For the latter of the two, it’s critical to know which website(s) will provide the best results when you’re searching for these seats, so today, I’ll cover the best award search tools for Star Alliance flights.
If you’re looking for the best websites for either SkyTeam or Oneworld, be sure to check out the other two guides in this series:
- The Best Websites for Searching SkyTeam Award Availability
- The Best Websites for Searching Oneworld Award Availability
Star Alliance Basics
The collection of airlines in Star Alliance is widespread, from well-known US airlines (United) and European carriers (Lufthansa) to highly-regarding Asian airlines (Singapore). In all, the alliance currently has 28 members, the highest number among the three large groups. Understanding how to earn and collect miles across partner airlines can be difficult if you’re new to points and miles, as you need to learn the basics of these relationships and understand the process of booking partner award flights. However, it all starts with finding award seat availability.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards