This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express
At TPG, we love to combine promotions to get the best value from our everyday purchases. And — especially with prices on the rise — we’re happy for any chance to save money on gas. Here’s one of those opportunities: The new IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card allows cardholders to save 6 cents per gallon on gas purchases at Shell.
Here’s how it works: The IHG Rewards Club Premier Card grants cardholders IHG Platinum Elite status. This status is quite valuable for stays at IHG properties. Indeed, I was just upgraded to a room with a balcony last night thanks to this elite status. Outside the US — where the Platinum Elite status is much rarer — I’ve gotten suite upgrades. Just for having a credit card.
In order to get this bonus, you first need to sign into Fuel Rewards and link your IHG account. After a verification period — which the terms and conditions note “should occur within 7-10 days from when your accounts are linked” — you’ll start saving at Shell gas stations when you swipe your Fuel Rewards card before you pump your gas.
The good news is that you don’t have to use your IHG Rewards Club Premier Card to make the purchase. While this card is competitive when paying for IHG hotel stays (10x points), it only earns 2x points at gas stations. And since TPG only values IHG points at 0.6 cents each, that’d means a measly 1.2 cents of value per dollar spent if you used this card for gas purchases.
Instead, you can use one of the best cards for gas purchases:
- Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express: up to a 5.7% return — 3x points (if you select gas as your bonus category) at 1.9 cents per point
- Citi Premier Card: 5.1% return — 3x points on gas at 1.7 cents per point
- Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi: 4% cashback on gas purchases for the first $7,000 per year; then 1% thereafter
- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Card from American Express: 3.8% return — 2x points on gas at 1.9 cents per point
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: 3.15% return — 1.5x points on all purchases at 2.1 cents per point
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: 3% cash back at US gas stations