Don’t forget to register for these benefits with the Amex Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card® from American Express takes the cake for the highest annual fee ($695, see rates and fees) and the highest number of annual statement credits (worth more than $1,400 per year). As a quick recap, here are the standout features of the Amex Platinum:
- Welcome bonus of 100,000 points after spending $6,000 on purchases within the first six months of card membership. Plus, earn 10 points per dollar on eligible purchases on your new card at restaurants worldwide and when you shop at small businesses in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases during your first six months of card membership.
- Earn 5x on flights booked directly or through Amex Travel (up to $500,000 per calendar year) and hotels booked through Amex Travel and 1x on all other eligible purchases.
- Amex Global Lounge Collection, including access to Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass, and more.
- Important travel and purchase protections such as trip delay and cancellation insurance, return protection and more.
This card has more benefits than practically any other rewards card on the market. The thing you might not realize, though, is that you have to register for some of them before you can use them. Here are the top ones to keep in mind.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline fee credit
Select one qualifying airline on your online Amex account and receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year toward incidental fees on the airline of your choice — applicable for baggage fees, seat assignments, inflight drinks, snacks, and others similar charges. Don’t forget — if you don’t register, you won’t receive any statement credits.
Marriott and Hilton elite status
If room upgrades and bonus points sound enticing to you, register for complimentary Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy elite status, both at the Gold level. To enroll, log onto your Amex Platinum account to request enrollment in both loyalty programs.
Priority Pass lounges
While you’ll have automatic access to Amex Centurion Lounges upon presenting your Platinum card, be sure to register for your complimentary Priority Pass Select membership on your online Amex account. This will let you into more than 1,300 lounges worldwide — a great alternative to when there isn’t a Centurion or Delta Sky Club (when you fly same-day Delta).
Among the benefits this card recently added, cardmembers now receive up to $200 in annual statement credits when they pay for prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection bookings through the Amex Travel portal using their Amex Platinum. Booking through these programs will also get you elite-like perks, so it’s worth checking out.
Receive up to $15 per month (and $35 total in December) in Uber Cash, redeemable for Uber rides or U.S. Uber Eats orders. After adding your Platinum card to your Uber account, you can find your monthly Amex benefit in your Uber Cash balance.
Global Entry or TSA Precheck credit
You don’t exactly have to register for this benefit, but use your card to pay for your Global Entry or TSA Precheck application through the respective website and receive up to $100 in statement credits for Global Entry ($85 for TSA Precheck). When your application is due for renewal after 4.5 or five years, you can receive reimbursement through your Amex Platinum again (and again).
Similar to the Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit, pay for your annual Clear membership with your Amex Platinum and automatically receive up to $179 in statement credits per calendar year.
Digital entertainment credit
After enrolling in this benefit on your Amex Platinum account, you’ll receive up to $20 in monthly statement credits when using your Amex Platinum to pay for monthly subscriptions through qualifying digital entertainment providers, including Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times.
For monthly Equinox memberships or your Equinox+ fitness app, you can receive $25 in monthly statement credits when you pay with your Amex Platinum. Enrollment is also required for this benefit online.
Again, enroll in this benefit on your card account. Then, when shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue with your Platinum card, you’ll receive $50 in statement credits for January through June and another $50 in statement credits for July through December, so don’t try to use your card for the full year $100 benefit all at once.
The Amex Platinum comes with an abundance of lifestyle- and travel-related credits that you’ll want to register for, either by paying for the service with your Amex Platinum or enrolling on your online Amex account. These ongoing benefits crown the card as the best of the best — especially if maximized to its full potential, netting you more than $1,400 in value each year.
Official application link: Amex Platinum with a welcome bonus of 100,000 bonus points.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees