How to register for the Amex Gold monthly dining credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
The American Express® Gold Card was seemingly made for people who live to eat. And in the current pandemic environment, many cardholders are prioritizing groceries and takeout.
Not only does the Amex Gold award 4x Membership Rewards points at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1x at U.S. supermarkets), but it also comes with an up to $120 annual dining statement credit. On top of that, as of January 2021, cardholders now receive up to $120 annually ($10 per month) in Uber Cash to use for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. Just be sure to add the card to your Uber app to receive this benefit. These are perks that, together, almost cover the Amex Gold’s $250 annual fee (see rates and fees).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The $10 monthly dining statement credit is awarded at the following merchants: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed and participating Shake Shack locations. It’s not automatically applied though, so you’ll need to activate it online before you can take advantage.
We’ll walk you through the process.
Enroll your card in 5 clicks or less
Once you’ve logged in to your Amex account, select your Gold card in the top right-hand corner. Then, select “Benefits” on the top bar.
From there, you’ll see the up to $120 dining credit benefit on the first column to the left. If not, just scroll down until you do. The credit is distributed as up to $10 statement credits per month, so you’ll want to make sure you’re ordering from a participating merchant at least once a month to take full advantage.
As you’ll see here, I’ve already enrolled in this benefit. If you haven’t, simply click on “Learn More” and you’ll be prompted to enroll on the next screen.
It’s worth noting that the terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards and merchandise purchases. Enrolling in this valuable benefit online should only take you about five minutes or less to complete, but you can also enroll by chatting with an Amex agent online, on the app or by calling customer service.
Note that this is different from the monthly $10 Uber benefit that comes with the Amex Gold. There’s a different process to ensure you are making use of that Uber Cash each month either towards an Uber ride, an Uber Eats order in the U.S. — or maybe even a bottle of vodka.
If you regularly dine at one of the aforementioned restaurants or use a food delivery service such as Grubhub or Seamless, having this card in your wallet makes a lot of sense. Just be sure you’re not leaving money on the table — enroll your Amex Gold Card now so you don’t miss out. And remember — there’s also a monthly $10 Uber benefit that now comes with the card, too.
APPLY for the Amex Gold Card — Welcome offer of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on the first six months of card membership.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, please click here.
Featured photo by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card Members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees