CSR cardholders: You can now activate your free Lyft Pink membership. Here’s how.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting Jan. 12, Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders can activate one free year of Lyft Pink membership. Along with $60 per year in DoorDash credits, this is one of the major benefits recently added to the card as part of increasing the annual fee to $550 per year.
Should I activate Lyft Pink now?
Before we get into how you can activate the benefit, let’s talk about whether or not you should. The new benefit is for one free year of Lyft Pink membership, and the deadline for activating the benefit is March 31, 2022. That means that you can activate the free year anytime in the next 27 months. So, there’s certainly no hurry to activate now.
If you aren’t planning on using Lyft anytime soon, you should wait until you’re going to use it before activating the membership. Personally, I primarily use Uber within the U.S. thanks to the monthly Uber credits and other Uber benefits from The Platinum Card® from American Express. And I have found that Lyft’s coverage overseas is limited.
Since the new CSR Lyft Pink benefit will be available for a few more years, I’m planning to hold off on activating until I’m ready to take advantage of it.
How to activate your free year of Lyft Pink
Currently, there doesn’t seem to be a way to activate the free year of Lyft Pink using the Lyft website. When I go to the Lyft Pink website, Lyft will let me sign up for Lyft Pink using my Chase Sapphire Reserve. However, it’s at the standard rate of $20 (plus tax) per month:
Instead, you’ll need to open your Lyft app. As I had already had my Chase Sapphire Reserve entered as a payment card in my Lyft profile, I was prompted immediately to “tap to activate a free year of Lyft Pink”:
Clicking on this prompt loaded the following page listing the benefits of Lyft Pink with the option to “activate for free” with the click of a button.
If you haven’t added your Chase Sapphire Reserve to your Lyft account, you’re going to need to do so and set the CSR as your primary payment method before you can activate the free membership.
What are the benefits of Lyft Pink?
Without the Chase Sapphire Reserve benefit, Lyft Pink costs $20 (plus tax) per month, and it provides 15% off rides, priority airport pickups, three free cancellations per month (as long as you rebook within 15 minutes of canceling), three free bike or scooter rides per month and “surprise offers and upgrades.”
TPG’s Liz Hund recently put Lyft Pink to the test and found that it saved her $63 in a month before subtracting the standard monthly subscription. For those that live in big cities and rely on ride-hailing services, Lyft Pink is going to be a very valuable benefit and the savings may easily cover the increased annual fee — at least for the first year.
However, there are certainly other cardholders — from expats overseas to car owners who don’t use ride-hailing services — that find that the new perks on the CSR aren’t worth the increased annual fee.
What are the other benefits of the Lyft partnership?
Whether or not you activate Lyft Pink, the Chase Sapphire Reserve should become your go-to for Lyft rides. Starting today, you’ll earn 10x Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent on Lyft. At current TPG valuations, that’s a return of 20% on your Lyft rides.
Even if you don’t maximize your Ultimate Rewards through transferrable partners, CSR cardholders can redeem Ultimate Rewards through the Chase Travel Portal at 1.5 cents each. So, you’ll get 15 cents toward your next flight or hotel stay for every $1 you spend on Lyft using your Chase Sapphire Reserve.
What are the other new benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve?
In addition to the Lyft benefit, the new DoorDash benefits kick in Jan. 12, 2020. For both 2020 and 2021, CSR cardholders will receive up to $60 in credits toward DoorDash orders. Unlike the Lyft Pink benefit, the new DoorDash benefit doesn’t require activation.
If you haven’t read all of the coverage of the new benefits and annual fee increase on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, catch up here:
- Significant changes confirmed for Chase’s Sapphire Reserve card
- Questions and answers about Chase’s Sapphire Reserve changes
- Chase partners with Lyft for ride discounts, up to 10x earnings and more
- Here’s how the new Chase card perks apply to authorized users
- Here’s why I’m keeping my Chase Sapphire Reserve
Featured image by ANGELA WEISS/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.