Last Chance to Book International Flights on 59 Routes From the US for Just 6,000 Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On May 30, British Airways will be “changing our Avios prices on reward flights” on partner airlines — meaning now is your last chance to book British Airways partner awards at current rates. While the new award chart isn’t confirmed, we at TPG have been able to piece together the puzzle of the new chart here.
One of the great uses of the current award chart is booking American Airlines flights. I recently put together a comprehensive guide to all of the routes where booking AA award flights would be cheaper with British Airways Avios than AAdvantage miles. Sadly, this is all going to change in a few days, so take advantage of these sweet spots now while you can.
Right now is an especially good time to take advantage of British Airways sweet spots as Chase Ultimate Rewards just launched its first-ever transfer bonus. Now through June 16, you’ll get 30% Avios more than the usual amount when transferring Chase UR points to British Airways.
On the current BA award chart, nonstop award flights in North America that are 1,151 miles or less in length cost just 7,500 Avios. Combining this rate with that transfer bonus, there are several international destinations where you can fly for just 6,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points each way. That’s by transferring 6,000 UR points to get 7,800 Avios, enough for a one-way international flight on some routes. (Remember that you have to transfer points in 1,000-point increments.)
To help you book a last-minute deal, let’s go over all 59 of the possible routes that you can book now at this rate, broken up by departure airport:
Charlotte-based flyers have six nonstop international options under 1,151 flight miles — two in Canada and four in the Caribbean. Effective mid-January, these Canadian routes have been reduced to 12,500 AA miles instead of 15,000. The Mexican and Caribbean routes still price at 15,000 AA miles. But all six of these routes are bookable for just 7,500 British Airways Avios until May 30.
- Charlotte to Toronto (YYZ)
- Charlotte to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
- Charlotte to Montreal (YUL)
- Charlotte to Cancun (CUN)
- Charlotte to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS)
- Charlotte to Grand Cayman (GCM)
Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
Chicago only has two nonstop routes under 1,151 miles, both between Chicago and Canada:
- Chicago O’Hare to Toronto (YYZ)
- Chicago O’Hare to Montreal (YUL)
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
There are seven American Airlines routes from Dallas/Fort Worth to Mexican destinations that are under 1,151 flight miles. You can book these flights for 7,500 Avios in economy or 15,000 Avios in first class, instead of 15,000 AA miles in economy or 25,000 AA miles in first. Even better, some options between DFW and Cancun have lie-flat seats in first class.
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Cancun (CUN)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Cozumel (CZM)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Guadalajara (GDL)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Mexico City (MEX)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Oaxaca (OAX)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
- Dallas/Fort Worth to Cabo San Lucas (SJD)
Los Angeles (LAX)
Los Angeles has just two nonstop options within the distance range. One option is up to Vancouver, Canada, which can be perfect for a skiing or summer getaway,- and the other is down to Cabo:
- Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada (YVR)
- Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (SJD)
While most AA hubs only have a few international short-haul options, Miami has 34 of them up to 1,151 flight miles. If you were to book with AA miles instead, these options range from 15,000 to 20,000 AA miles each way during peak periods or 12,500 to 17,500 AA miles each way during off-peak. But all of these routes cost just 7,500 Avios until May 30.
- Miami to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
- Miami to Varadero, Cuba (VRA)
- Miami to Santa Clara, Cuba (SNU)
- Miami to Havana, Cuba (HAV)
- Miami to Camagüey, Cuba (CMW)
- Miami to Holguín, Cuba (HOG)
- Miami to Grand Cayman, Cuba (GCM)
- Miami to Santiago de Cuba, Cuba (SCU)
- Miami to Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
- Miami to Cancún, Mexico (CUN)
- Miami to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS)
- Miami to Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
- Miami to Cap-Haïtien, Haiti (CAP)
- Miami to Port-au-Prince, Haiti (PAP)
- Miami to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP)
- Miami to Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic (STI)
- Miami to Roatán, Honduras (RTB)
- Miami to Belize City, Belize (BZE)
- Miami to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
- Miami to San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
- Miami to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ)
- Miami to Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
- Miami to Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)
- Miami to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
- Miami to San Salvador, San Salvador (SAL)
- Miami to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
- Miami to Bermuda (BDA)
- Miami to Barranquilla, Colombia (BAQ)
- Miami to Cartagena, Colombia (CTG)
- Miami to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Miami to Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands (STT)
- Miami to San José, Costa Rica (SJO)
- Miami to Aruba (AUA)
- Miami to Christiansted, US Virgin Islands (STX)
Most of Philadelphia’s international flights are over the Atlantic, but it has four international short-haul options which can be booked for 7,500 Avios:
- Philadelphia to Bermuda (BDA)
- Philadelphia to Montreal, Canada (YUL)
- Philadelphia to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
- Philadelphia to Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
Last but not least is AA’s southwestern hub Phoenix. Located just north of the Mexico border, it offers four options south of the border that you can book for just 7,500 Avios each way.
- Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas (SJD)
- Phoenix to Guadalajara (GDL)
- Phoenix to Mazatlan (MZT)
- Phoenix to Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
For just a couple more days, you can score international flights on 59 different routes from American Airlines hubs for just 7,500 British Airways Avios, or just 6,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards transferred to British Airways. However, this just scratches the surface of the possibilities of what you can book with the current British Airways award chart. So, make sure to search, transfer and book a getaway now before the BA award chart changes later this week.
Featured image by IreneCorti via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.