The incredibly easy way of redeeming IHG’s 4th-night reward
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This guide has been updated with the latest information.
This perk allows select IHG Rewards credit card holders to pay zero points for every fourth night when redeeming IHG Rewards points to book award stays of four nights or longer. So, today I’ll take a closer look at IHG’s fourth-night reward, including how to get access to the benefit and book a stay.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
What is the IHG 4th-night reward?
The IHG fourth-night reward is applicable for standard-room reward-night stays booked with points for four or more consecutive nights. But, the nights must be within the same stay at the same property. So, you can’t combine separate bookings and still get a fourth-night reward.
With the fourth-night reward, you must redeem IHG Rewards points for the first three nights. But then the fourth night of the stay will cost zero points. Best of all, you can use the fourth-night reward on an unlimited number of stays annually. However, this perk does not apply to paid stays or points-and-cash bookings.
Who can get a 4th-night reward?
If you want to add the IHG Premier Card to your wallet, you’ll be happy to know it is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 125,000 bonus points, plus a reward night after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Based on TPG’s valuations, this bonus is worth up to $825 (including reward night worth up to 40k points). Plus, you’ll get other valuable IHG Premier cardholder perks, including:
- IHG Platinum Elite status for as long as you’re a cardholder.
- One anniversary reward night each account anniversary, valid for a night costing 40,000 points or less within 12 months of issuance.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee statement credit every four years. (Up to $100)
However, you won’t be eligible for this card or bonus if (1) you are a current cardmember or (2) you previously had this card and received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. Additionally, note that you’ll need to be under Chase’s 5/24 rule to be eligible for this card.
How to use IHG’s 4th-night reward
Since you’re logged in and searching for a four-night stay, you’ll see award rates that are struck through and replaced with lower rates. The struck-through rates indicate the average award night cost without the fourth-night reward. And the new award rates show the average nightly rate after accounting for the fourth-night reward.
Click on the hotel you want and then select a room type.
Note that you’ll only get a fourth-night reward when you pay fully with points. Click on “Rate Details” to see how the award pricing breaks down night by night for your stay.
For this sample stay, you’d pay 40,000 points per night for the first two nights, 30,000 points for the third night and zero points for the fourth night. Click in the top right corner to exit this window and continue booking.
On the final page before booking, you’ll see a message noting you’ll get a fourth-night reward. You can also see the points cost per night on this page. Fill in the personal details and then book your fourth-night reward stay. It’s that easy.
Finally, you can also get multiple fourth-night rewards on an extended stay. For example, in the example below, you can see that two nights cost zero points on this eight-night stay booked with IHG points.
If you need to earn more IHG Rewards points before booking your next award, consider signing up for a new IHG credit card, buying IHG points or transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points. You can also earn a few extra points through IHG Rewards Club Dining.
IHG’s fourth-night reward is an excellent benefit that lets you stretch your IHG points further on award stays of four nights or more. As you can see, getting the fourth-night benefit from the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is incredibly easy. The discount is applied automatically online, so there’s no need to involve an agent or deal with rebate messiness.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo of the InterContinental Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 125,000 bonus points + a Free Night after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®