How to book a Barcelona hotel room for 4 on points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card, Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
A lot of frequent-flying families pick a city in Europe as their first long-haul trip on miles and points. However, if you’ve ever actually tried to book a hotel room for four people in European cities, you probably know that not all rooms allow occupancy by more than three people. Certainly, that is the case with many points-friendly hotels. In this installment in our series on European cities with points hotels that have rooms to accommodate a family of four (so far we’ve covered London, Paris, Rome, Florence and Portugal) ) is the home of architect Antoni Gaudí’s masterpieces: Barcelona.
Use your Hilton Honors points
Marriott charges a cash upgrade in Barcelona
Marriott has great points hotel options in Barcelona, such as Hotel Arts, W Barcelona, Barcelona Edition, but they do not allow four to a room. However, you can always call the hotel directly and I have heard anecdotal evidence of families being allowed to stay there with four people. If you have a family of three, your options open up greatly.
We checked Category 6 Le Meridien Barcelona that allows four people in its Corner Suite room for 40k (off-peak), but the room requires a 650-euro-per-night supplement. That’s not a TPG-approved redemption.
You can earn Marriott points with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, which is offering 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, or the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card which is offering 75,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. Alternatively, Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to Marriott at a 1:1 ratio.
IHG hotels for families in Barcelona
A choice of four-star hotels with Chase Ultimate Rewards
With the limited number of traditional points hotels to choose from, families visiting Barcelona can look to the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal in order to redeem points for a stay.
Capri by Fraser Barcelona
Readers recently discussed the best UR hotels in Barcelona in the TPG Family Facebook Group and a reader suggested Capri by Fraser Barcelona. (Make sure you’re following TPG Family on Facebook for more travel tips from our community.)
Hotel Barcelona Universal
The Hotel Barcelona Universal is not much to look at from the outside but can provide an inexpensive base for walking and using the metro while surrounded by independent shops and restaurants.
Family Rooms: From 7,774 points (the exact number of points is dynamic and changes based on the season and which type of Chase card you have)
Location: El Raval, close to Los Ramblas
Room: The hotel offers triple rooms for families that are 366 square feet with three single beds (two can be pushed together).
Food: Breakfast is included in some room rates or available for 17 euros per person.
Extras: Guests are given a free drink token for the hotel’s rooftop bar upon arrival.
American Express points options in Barcelona
This chic boutique hotel is nestled into a corner of the Gothic Quarter with apartments bookable with Amex Membership Rewards points.
Family rooms: $352 or 35,236 Membership Reward points (as checked for dates in December )
Location: Gothic Quarter, next to the Cathedral of Barcelona
Rooms: Families of four get a brand-new sunny apartment in the Apartment Annex. Each apartment has one bedroom, a separate living room with sofa bed and bathroom. Families will also love that the apartments come equipped with kitchenette, dishwasher, washer/dryer and daily cleaning.
Extras: While certainly not cheap at $352 or 35,236 Membership Rewards points (as checked for a December stay), the Hotel Neri can be a good value when you factor in your American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits. With daily breakfast for two adults plus a $100 food and beverage credit, you start to cut into the cost. Also, get 5x Membership Rewards points when booked on American Express Travel using a card like The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, and 2x Membership Rewards points on each dollar of eligible purchases made when you book using a Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express card on the American Express Travel website.
Use a card to redeem rewards for travel
Consider using a card like the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card where you can redeem earned miles for a statement credit as long as the purchase codes as “travel.” Here’s how to redeem Capital One miles at a fixed value. The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card offers a similar benefit.
Citi Prestige® cardholders can book four nights but just pay for three. (As of Sept. 1, 2019, cardholders can only get the fourth night free on two hotel stays per year.)
Novotel is a popular four-star European chain that is part of Le Club AccorHotels. Le Club recently teamed up with Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) so you can now earn both Flying Blue/Air France miles and hotel points when flying with the airlines or staying at a Le Club property.
There are many other ways to boost your Flying Blue account balance if you’re looking to cash in on airline miles that are easy to earn. The program is a 1:1 transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards,
Barcelona is an enchanting city for families with interesting architecture, lovely beaches and tasty tapas around every corner. Is it on your family’s shortlist of European cities to visit?
Here’s some more information about Barcelona:
- What to Do in Barcelona With Kids
- 9 Common Mistakes Tourists Make in Barcelona
- 6 Things Even Repeat Travelers Need to Know Before Visiting Barcelona
- Second Cities: Destinations to Add onto a Trip to Barcelona
Featured image by Querbeet/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.