11 TPG-Approved Travel Gifts for Your High School Graduate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
They threw their caps in the air and now summer is in full swing for high school graduates. Someday soon, they will likely be traveling — perhaps for vacation or off to a college dorm. Here’s a compilation of TPG-approved travel gifts — both practical and trendy — that your teen will totally appreciate.
This simplistic suitcase just debuted from actress Shay Mitchell’s travel brand. It has a versatile design that goes with everything, and its thoughtful features set it apart from other luggage on the market. With a weight-limit indicator, an optional expander, compression flaps and a TSA-approved combination lock, this bag has everything you could possibly need when jetting off.
Buy: Beis Travel, $258
Rather than suggesting a pair of our beloved noise-cancellation headphones, we think a more appropriate gift for a recent graduate is a pair of AirPods. Apple’s cult-favorite earphones are useful in flight and in everyday life. They embody convenience and comfort.
Buy: Apple, $159 — $199
This thoughtful gift allows you to speed through airport security — no worries about removing your shoes or belt. It’s the best fast-pass a traveler could have, especially for a teen who struggles with staying on schedule. Plus, the membership lasts five years.
Buy: TSA, $85
It may be years, but sooner or later high school graduates will move out of the house, stuffing all of their belongings into a suitcase. These highly rated packing cubes compress clothes and other items into an almost airtight space. TPG’s all about maximizing, whether it’s credit card points or luggage space.
Few things beat being a frequent flyer, but one thing that does is letting people know that you’re a frequent flyer. This hat (fresh from the TPG shop) lets people know that you’re no novice traveler, all while hiding that messy plane ‘do. Gift it while it’s hot.
Buy: The Points Guy Shop, $25
This coat blew up the Internet; every Gen Z-er has it or wants it in their closet. It makes for the perfect boarding outfit that screams: “Don’t talk to me when my AirPods are in. Or do. Regardless, I’m very cool.” All of this to say, while it’s a definite statement piece, it’s also a really safe gift choice.
Buy: I AM GIA, $76
Spotify Premium or Apple Music Subscription
Travels require ambience, and ambience requires a music subscription. Those are just the facts. Any recent graduate would appreciate ad-free music and the opportunity to listen offline in the sky. Plus, both of these options offer discounts for college students. Score.
Buy: Spotify, (for students) $0.99 for the first 3 months, then $4.99/month
Buy: Apple, (for students) $4.99/month
Make Them an Authorized User
Chances are, recent graduates will opt for a basic economy fare when they’re given the choice, but the gift of an authorized user account on your premium card can completely revamp their airport experience.
For example, becoming an authorized user on a The Platinum Card® from American Express can mean exceptional lounge access. And most important, this card can help young people build their credit — a priceless gift.
Here’s our breakdown of the best credit cards for authorized users.
This tech travel case seems to be one of those “I didn’t know I needed it, and now I can’t live without it” types of gifts. This faux-leather case keeps cords from becoming tangled and it sections off electronics while keeping them in the same place. It’s the perfect gift that transitions a young traveler seamlessly into adulthood.
Buy: Nordstrom, $60
Even though recent grads are out of the classroom, at least for the summer, a nice backpack will take them into their latest and greatest journey … and then maybe right back into school next fall. The sleek exterior fits pretty much anyone’s style, but the backpack also has a roomy interior with pockets and a strap on the back so you can slide in your luggage handle.
Buy: Away Travel, $195
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees