10 Gadgets and Gift Ideas for the Traveling Dad
Mother’s Day might get a lot of fanfare, but dads are pretty amazing, too. Whether they’re trick-or-treating on airplanes, bonding at national parks or dozing before takeoff, traveling dads everywhere deserve a little extra love this Father’s Day, so why not get them one of these great travel-related gadgets?
1. Smartphone Tripod Mount & Stand
If your dad is like most of us, he probably uses his smartphone constantly while traveling — it’s not just a phone, it’s a computer and camera, too, after all. This adjustable tripod mount will allow him to attach his phone to any standard tripod, turning it into a more stable point-and-shoot camera for crisp, shake-proof photos. It also works as a small stand to help prop up his phone for an easier way to watch videos, read books or scan the news. From $30.
2. 3-in-1 Lens Camera Kit for Smartphones
This camera kit comes with three lenses — wide, macro and fish-eye — that can be mounted on the camera of most standard smartphones and tablets. The set is easy to use: just clip the mount onto the phone or tablet, screw on the lens and snap away. And while these won’t exactly give you SLR-quality photos, they’re a great tool for the amateur travel photographer interested in better capturing a scenic landscape or sending some funny, morphed selfies back home. And unlike an SLR, the lenses are light, extremely portable and dirt cheap. From $12.
3. Men’s Bug-Free Long-Sleeve T-Shirt
For the avid outdoorsmen, this long-sleeve t-shirt will help protect against both bugs and sun. The lightweight fabric is treated with an odorless insect repellent that repels mosquitoes, flies and ticks and lasts for up to 70 washes. Not to mention, the intricate fabrication process also means it can better protect skin against harsh ultraviolet sun rays than standard clothing. Whether Dad is hiking in the Amazon, on a safari in Kenya or camping in Big Bend, you’ll know he’ll be protected. From $23.
4. 360-Degree Spherical Panorama Camera
While standard panoramic photos capture just a single line of view, this spherical panorama camera captures an entire space — great for breathtaking views and jaw-dropping hotels. It fits in the palm of your hand, can be mounted on a tripod and best of all, you can control it with your smartphone. With a 360-degree image or video, Dad will be able to share moments from all angles. From $248.
5. Digital Luggage Scale
Some dads have a superhuman ability to estimate the weight of your luggage before heading to the airport. Others need a little more help. This digital scale can measure the weight of luggage up to 110 pounds, ensuring that Dad never has to pay extra fees for his overstuffed suitcase. And unlike a lot of other luggage scales, this one isn’t bulky or awkward, but small enough to fit easily in the palm of your hand or front luggage pocket, making it easy to carry along on trips. From $9.
6. Sound-isolating Earphones
These sound-isolating earphones are a great gift for an audiophile dad on the go. The in-ear buds are soft and comfortable — even after wearing them for extended periods — and the cord is durable enough to withstand the frequent wrapping and unwrapping that accompanies travel. In addition to great sound quality, these earphones also block up to 37 decibels of ambient noise, making it a little easier to hear that podcast at 35,000 feet. From $89.
7. Mini Bluetooth/GPS Tracker
These small trackers are easy to use and handy for traveling dads. Simply attach one to an item like a suitcase or wallet, and if it gets lost, you can see on your phone where it was last detected or, if you’re close by, it’ll play a sound to help you find it. An “anti-lost” mode will also alert you when you’re getting too far away from the item — an especially great feature if your dad is prone to leaving his keys or wallet behind. Bonus: Unlike other trackers, the battery is replaceable, meaning you don’t have to buy a new one when the battery gets too low. From $19.
8. Portable Charger
This portable charger has enough juice to recharge multiple devices, multiple times — making it great for long-haul flights or multi-day trips with limited access to power. Best of all, it comes with two USB ports and an LED display that lets you see what percentage of the battery is left on the charger. While it’s a little larger than some portable power banks, it still fits fine in a suit jacket or carry-on pocket. From $26.
9. Pocket Multi-Tool
This pocket multi-tool was made for dads who scoff at calling a handyman and believe no home is complete without a toolbox. Despite being the size of a standard house key, this tool can serve the purpose of 20 devices, including four different types of screwdrivers, a wire stripper and — of course — a bottle opener. Best of all, it is TSA approved, so Dad can take it with him anywhere he goes. From $30.
10. Hidden Travel Belt Wallet
Let’s face it, fanny packs aren’t doing anyone any favors. But what do you do when Dad wants to keep sensitive things like passports and cash close while traveling? This hidden travel wallet clips to your belt and hides under your clothes to keep personal items safe and out of reach from pickpockets. Unlike a lot of travel wallets, it’s made with soft, breathable fabric that is comfortable, even in hot weather. Its three distinct pockets are big enough to carry a passport, several credit cards and some cash, yet still easy to access when you need to. Bonus: The wallet is also equipped with RFID-blocking material, giving Dad some extra peace of mind. From $14.
What travel-related gifts will you be giving Dad this year? Sound off, below.
Featured image courtesy of Hero Images via Getty Images. All others courtesy of Amazon unless otherwise indicated.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees