Credit Scores, Compensation, Lounges & Everything Else
If you’ve got a question that isn’t covered in the other FAQ pages, like receiving airline compensation after a bad flight, our favorite tools for searching award flights, understanding Global Entry, improving your credit score or pursuing points retroactively, we should have an answer for you here.
Start Using Points
- The Beginner’s Guide to Points & Miles
- The Savvy Traveler’s Points & Miles Glossary
- 10 Commandments for Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- 10 Most Valuable Transfer Partners for Flights and Hotels
- Finding Flight Deals From a Specific Airport
How to Fly Business Class on Points
Want to use your points to fly business class? Save thousands of dollars by following these tips:
Want to know how to get upgrades and elite status? See: Elite Status and Upgrades for Airlines & Hotels
Searching Award Availability
See some of the best ways to look for and find award availability:
- Boost Your Award-Booking and Upgrade Success With ExpertFlyer
- Our Favorite Award Availability Tools
Learn how to find award availability for specific airlines:
Airline Compensation & Fees
Have a bad flight experience, and looking for a refund? These should help:
Looking to avoid change and/or cancellation fees? Here’s how we’d do it:
Were your bags delayed, mishandled or lost? We’ve got you covered:
- What to Do If an Airline Loses Your Bag
- Which Credit Cards Cover Baggage Delays?
See all things Travel Insurance
Receiving Points Retroactively
Fly somewhere but forgot to log into your account beforehand? Get points after your flight:
Or did you create frequent flyer account after your flight?
Claim your missing miles (for AA only):
- Claim Missing American Airlines Miles
Improving Your Credit Score
Want new credit cards but stuck with a bad credit score?
Interested in using points to pay your taxes? See this post before you do:
Want to know about lounges, how to get in, and the best ones to go to?
Priority Pass Lounges
Airport Security & Immigration
Interested in expediting airport security, customs and/or immigration? These programs are meant to do just that.
CLEAR Expedited Security
Considering CLEAR? Want to learn about it? See: all tings CLEAR Expedited Security
- CLEAR Expedited Security Program — Is it Worthwhile?
- Free CLEAR Expedited Security for Delta Diamond Members
One of the biggest programs, available to U.S. citizens and foreigners alike. See: all things Global Entry
A favorite of some TPG team members, are you considering Mobile Passport?
- Should I Use Global Entry or Mobile Passport App?
- Why Mobile Passport Can Be an Even Better Option Than Global Entry
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Currently serving in the military and looking for a new credit card, or just hoping to strategize your points game?
About to buy a home, a car, some jewelry or any other expensive item? Looking for the best cards to do it?
- 6 Things to Consider Before Making a Large Purchase
- Earning Tons of Extra Miles on a Large Purchase
- Paying Rent and Mortgages With a Credit Card
Car Rentals and Coverage
Looking to rent a car with points?
Want to know which cards have rental car insurance?
Currency & Exchange Rates
Looking for tips on exchange rates and changing currency while traveling?
- Avoiding ATM Withdrawal Fees When Traveling Abroad
- Can You Save Money Purchasing Airline Tickets in Foreign Currency?
- Credit Card Payment Networks with the Best Exchange Rates
- Where to Exchange Currency for an International Trip
Helpful information about credit cards, points & miles for Americans living abroad
- The Best Credit Cards and Award Programs for Expats
Travel Scams (how to recognize & avoid them)
Unfortunately, tourists are always targets of quick, petty scams for cash. Know to recognize them before you fall into a trap.
Using Credit Card Portals
Looking to book a flight or hotel stay through a portal, but not sure what it entails?
- Do I Get Airline Miles & Elite Benefits With Portal Bookings?
- Should I Use a Card Travel Portal or Hotels.com to Book a Room?
Looking for another way to earn points & miles when shopping online?
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Check out our guides or travel resources page. Still nothing? Shoot us an email and we’ll do our best to get back to you: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to see something added to this FAQ, send us a Facebook message with what you think we’re missing. If your request is popular with other readers we’ll add it!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.