Credit Scores, Compensation, Lounges & Everything Else
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve got a question that isn’t covered in the other FAQ pages, like receiving airline compensation after a bad flight, our favorite tools for searching award flights, understanding Global Entry, improving your credit score or pursuing points retroactively, we should have an answer for you here.
Start Using Points
- The Beginner’s Guide to Points & Miles
- The Savvy Traveler’s Points & Miles Glossary
- 10 Commandments for Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- 10 Most Valuable Transfer Partners for Flights and Hotels
- Finding Flight Deals From a Specific Airport
How to Fly Business Class on Points
Want to use your points to fly business class? Save thousands of dollars by following these tips:
Want to know how to get upgrades and elite status? See: Elite Status and Upgrades for Airlines & Hotels
Searching Award Availability
See some of the best ways to look for and find award availability:
- Boost Your Award-Booking and Upgrade Success With ExpertFlyer
- Our Favorite Award Availability Tools
Learn how to find award availability for specific airlines:
Airline Compensation & Fees
Have a bad flight experience, and looking for a refund? These should help:
Looking to avoid change and/or cancellation fees? Here’s how we’d do it:
Were your bags delayed, mishandled or lost? We’ve got you covered:
- What to Do If an Airline Loses Your Bag
- Which Credit Cards Cover Baggage Delays?
See all things Travel Insurance
Receiving Points Retroactively
Fly somewhere but forgot to log into your account beforehand? Get points after your flight:
Or did you create frequent flyer account after your flight?
Claim your missing miles (for AA only):
- Claim Missing American Airlines Miles
Improving Your Credit Score
Want new credit cards but stuck with a bad credit score?
Interested in using points to pay your taxes? See this post before you do:
Want to know about lounges, how to get in, and the best ones to go to?
Priority Pass Lounges
Airport Security & Immigration
Interested in expediting airport security, customs and/or immigration? These programs are meant to do just that.
CLEAR Expedited Security
Considering CLEAR? Want to learn about it? See: all tings CLEAR Expedited Security
- CLEAR Expedited Security Program — Is it Worthwhile?
- Free CLEAR Expedited Security for Delta Diamond Members
One of the biggest programs, available to U.S. citizens and foreigners alike. See: all things Global Entry
A favorite of some TPG team members, are you considering Mobile Passport?
- Should I Use Global Entry or Mobile Passport App?
- Why Mobile Passport Can Be an Even Better Option Than Global Entry
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Currently serving in the military and looking for a new credit card, or just hoping to strategize your points game?
About to buy a home, a car, some jewelry or any other expensive item? Looking for the best cards to do it?
- 6 Things to Consider Before Making a Large Purchase
- Earning Tons of Extra Miles on a Large Purchase
- Paying Rent and Mortgages With a Credit Card
Car Rentals and Coverage
Looking to rent a car with points?
Want to know which cards have rental car insurance?
Currency & Exchange Rates
Looking for tips on exchange rates and changing currency while traveling?
- Avoiding ATM Withdrawal Fees When Traveling Abroad
- Can You Save Money Purchasing Airline Tickets in Foreign Currency?
- Credit Card Payment Networks with the Best Exchange Rates
- Where to Exchange Currency for an International Trip
Helpful information about credit cards, points & miles for Americans living abroad
- The Best Credit Cards and Award Programs for Expats
Travel Scams (how to recognize & avoid them)
Unfortunately, tourists are always targets of quick, petty scams for cash. Know to recognize them before you fall into a trap.
Using Credit Card Portals
Looking to book a flight or hotel stay through a portal, but not sure what it entails?
- Do I Get Airline Miles & Elite Benefits With Portal Bookings?
- Should I Use a Card Travel Portal or Hotels.com to Book a Room?
Looking for another way to earn points & miles when shopping online?
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Check out our guides or travel resources page. Still nothing? Shoot us an email and we’ll do our best to get back to you: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to see something added to this FAQ, send us a Facebook message with what you think we’re missing. If your request is popular with other readers we’ll add it!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees