Stack these 3 great Citi Rewards+ features for maximum earnings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
The Citi Rewards+® Card is a solid option for beginner travelers and students, and it can even act as a nice supplemental card for existing Citi Premier® Card and Citi Prestige® cardholders. With no annual fee, an elevated sign-up bonus and some interesting features, the Citi Rewards+ is a unique card that’s more intriguing as an everyday spending card than other no-annual-fee options.
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
New cardholders will earn 20,000 ThankYou bonus points after spending $1,500 in purchases within three months of account opening. That’s worth $200 in cash-back, gift cards and other redemption options on the Citi ThankYou portal, but you can outsize the value of these points if you’ve got either of Citi’s premium cards.
Let’s take a look at the three unique features of the Citi Rewards+ card and explain why it’s a solid option to add to your award strategy.
Apply here for the Citi Rewards+ card.
You’ll earn 2 points per dollar at supermarkets and gas stations
For someone who spends an average of $112 at the supermarket, you’re looking at 224 ThankYou points each week and 11,648 points a year (not including any additional awards you earn due to Citi’s round-up feature — more on that in the next section).
If you max out the $6,000 spending threshold on these bonus categories, that’s 12,000 basic ThankYou points annually. Basic ThankYou points are redeemed at a straightforward 1:1 value through the Citi travel portal, making them worth $120.
However, those who have the Citi Prestige or Citi Premier have the ability to pool points across their different card accounts and take advantage of Citi’s 15+ airline transfer partners. According to TPG valuations, that raises the value of those 12,000 points to $204.
Keep in mind that “supermarkets” excludes wholesale clubs, superstores, discount stores and others that do not classify themselves as supermarkets with their merchant code.
There’s a unique round-up feature
Perhaps the most intriguing benefit of the Citi Rewards+ Card is its unique round-up feature. For every purchase, your earned rewards are rounded up to the nearest 10.
Your $5 latte addiction? Worth 10 points. That $1 vending machine purchase? Worth 10 points. Your weekly $112 supermarket run I mentioned earlier? Those 224 points get rounded up to 230 every time. An extra five or six points may not seem like it would make much of a difference, but those small bumps will add up over time.
Currently, the Citi Rewards+ is the only card in the market that offers this feature. It’s perfect for maximizing rewards on smaller purchases that typically wouldn’t qualify for bonus rewards across any of your credit cards.
Enjoy a 10% redemption bonus
With the Citi Rewards+ Card, you’ll get 10% back on the first 100,000 points you redeem each year — which means you could get back up to 10,000 bonus points annually. This redemption bonus makes your weekly supermarket run worth almost 1,200 extra points each year, and that’s just from one transaction each week.
Sometimes, it’s easy to get into this mindset that you should hold on to your rewards and rack up as many as possible before you start redeeming them. This is far from the truth. Credit card rewards were made to be used, not hoarded, and a redemption bonus like this is a great incentive to actually redeem your points throughout the year. Plus, a 10% bonus is a great jumpstart toward earning enough for your next trip!
None of these features might seem jaw-dropping on their own, but when you leverage all three, they can help you maximize earning potential. It’s a compelling no-annual-fee card built for both credit card beginners looking for an everyday earning card and frequent travelers looking for a card to supplement their Citi Prestige or Citi Premier.
Related: Maximizing the Citi quadfecta
The Citi Rewards+ also comes with a 20,000-point sign-up bonus after you spend $1,500 within the first three months (the normal offer we’ve seen is at 15,000 points). Therefore, it’s an especially great time to apply for this card and earn points for no annual fee.
Official application link: Citi Rewards+ Card.
Featured photo by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees