Can You Take Pets on Board a Flight Within Europe?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While many European airlines look favorably on pets flying in cabins with their owners, the UK is unique in that it does not. Major British airlines, including British Airways, Flybe and Virgin Atlantic, will only allow approved assistance dogs in the cabin with passengers. All other pets/animals have to travel in the cargo hold. Whether in the cargo hold or in the cabin, these airlines will also usually require:
- The animal be microchipped
- Carry an EU Pet Passport
- Have had certain recent vaccinations
Fortunately, assistance dogs travel free of charge where permitted to be in the cabin with the passenger. If you are transporting an animal in the cargo hold, there will usually be a fee associated with this. This fee may differ based on the dimensions and weight of the animal and its travel cage.
Low-cost carriers like EasyJet, Jet2 and Ryanair do not allow pets to be transported in the cargo hold and will only allow assistance dogs in the cabin on certain flights and in certain circumstances.
Mainland European carriers are a bit more generous in what they will allow in the cabin. Both KLM and Lufthansa allow small dogs or cats in the cabin provided they weigh less than 8 kilograms (about 17 lbs.), including their carrier. So if you are determined to fly with your small dog or cat in the cabin of your next flight to mainland Europe, consider choosing a full-service mainland European carrier rather than a British airline or a low-cost option.
Regardless of whether your pet will be in the cabin or cargo hold, you should contact the airline well in advance to determine their policy — don’t leave this until the last minute. Most airlines will have a written policy on their website. Some breeds of dog may be prohibited from flying if the airline considers them to be dangerous, or if their breed may find it difficult to fly.
Featured image by Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees