Calling all bookworms: Here’s how to get a free short story at the airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You may spend more time looking at your phone these days than reading a book, magazine or newspaper when you travel. But some airports around the country are trying to entice passengers to take a minute, or three, to read a free, randomly chosen story printed out at a kiosk.
In October, Oakland International Airport (OAK) installed an on-demand short story dispenser in each of its two terminals. Dane County Regional Airport (MSN) in Madison, WI installed a short story dispenser last month as well.
The kiosks, invented by French Company, Short Edition, allow walk-up users to request a free print-out of a story that will take an estimated one minute, three minutes or five minutes to read. There are also short stories just for kids.
Short Edition’s database of more than 10,000 stories includes brief classics by well-known authors such as Charles Dickens, Emily Dickinson, James Joyce and Edgar Allan Poe along with a growing list of work by modern day writers who submit their short stories for consideration and receive royalties each time one of their stories is printed out.
To get a story, a kiosk user simply selects a story length, pushes a button and, in less than a minute, a printed story unfurls on eco-friendly paper that uses no ink or cartridge.
Short story dispensers may soon pop up in many more airports, but for now you’ll also find these fun (and educational) kiosks in the Virtual Library in the Terminal D-C connector at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL); in the atrium area of Ohio’s Akron-Canton Airport (courtesy of the Akron-Summit County Public Library and the Knight Foundation); and in Lansing, Michigan at the Capital Region International Airport (LAN).
In Canada, the short story dispenser at Edmonton International Airport (YEG) includes the work of more than 100 local authors, and in France, you’ll find short story dispensers at the Paris- Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) T2 (in the rail area), at the Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport (LYS) and at the Nantes Atlantique Airport (NTE).
Have a hankering to read a short story right now but not traveling through any of these airports? You can read thousands of one, three or five-minute short stories on the Short Edition website any time.
No plane ticket necessary.
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees