7 Great Family Beaches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The perfect family beach day varies: For some it may include waves to surf, Jet Skis to master and fish to ogle, while for others it may be all about lots of shade and plenty of personal space for happy toddler shrieks. Oh, and a tiki bar for mom and dad (non-negotiable). No matter your idea of beach paradise, one of the US or Caribbean spots on this list will surely fit the bill.
Clearwater Beach, Florida
A beautiful, wide beach with soft waves, cabanas for rent, spectacular sunsets and reasonably priced, kid-friendly accommodations make this a no-brainer for families. Stay at the brand-new Wyndham Grand at Clearwater Beach, where rates start around $250 (or 15,000 Wyndham Points) per night.
La Chiva, Puerto Rico
You’ll need a 4×4 to get there (or really anywhere on Vieques) but that makes La Chiva (also known as Blue Beach) all the more fun. Calm, clear, shallow waters and plenty of privacy ensure a great day at the beach — which you’ll likely have to yourselves. Plan your trip for 2019 and stay at the W Retreat Resort & Spa. It’s currently closed for renovations post-hurricanes, but is slated to open again next year.
Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
See Nemo in his natural habitat: Some of the best snorkeling in the world happens right off the (powder-white) sand here, no fancy scuba gear required. Stay at the newly reopened, all-inclusive Beaches Turks & Caicos and take advantage of the seriously awesome water parks, camp for kids and free watersports (including activities such as waterskiing, which are often extra at other all-inclusives). Use your Citi Prestige card to get your fourth night free.
Coronado Beach, San Diego
A 1.5-mile-long stretch of sand with calm waters and attentive lifeguards makes this an idyllic (and safe) spot for families. Linger until dusk to make s’mores in the fire pits. Stay at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa, where rates start around $228 or 40,000 points per night.
Menemsha Beach, Martha’s Vineyard
With sweeping views of Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth Islands, this slightly rocky but extremely lovely spot is staffed by lifeguards during the season. Stay at a VRBO or at the Mansion House and make sure to get your fourth night free by using your Citi Prestige card. Pro tip: Don’t miss the cool sculpture of a harpooner and a swordfish in the dunes.
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
Untouched by recent Caribbean hurricanes, the Cayman Islands are expecting 250,000 more visitors than usual this year. This famously gorgeous beach with calm surf and turquoise water is home to nearby Stingray City, where kids can swim with the gentle (and friendly) giants. Stay at the Westin Grand Cayman and get a great deal by paying with points (only 16,000 SPG points per night compared to $400 to $800). Or stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a crowd favorite.
Bowman’s Beach, Sanibel Island
It’s shelling on steroids here: Pick up a Florida conch (they’re all over) and show your kids the critter living inside. (Then show them how to gently put the animal back in the water.) Clean, bright public restrooms and showers are also a welcome sight for parents coming off the sand. Sign the kids up for Sanibel Sea School at the Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, and book your stay with the Citi Prestige card to get your fourth night free.
Feature photo by Imgorthand/Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees