10 things to do when you get the Amex Platinum
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the best premium rewards cards on the market thanks to its extensive benefits, ranging from lounge access to monthly statement credits. Those perks come at a cost, though — the card’s annual fee is $695 (see rates and fees), making it among the most expensive of all consumer cards to carry.
Not only that, but the Amex Platinum Card is currently offering a generous 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 on the card in the first six months of card membership. New cardholders can also earn a whopping 10 points per dollar at restaurants worldwide and when they “Shop Small” in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during the first six months of card membership.
Note that you could potentially be targeted for a 125,000-point or 150,000-point welcome bonus by using the CardMatch Tool. These offers are subject to change at any time.
If you do open the Amex Platinum Card or already carry it, here are the10 best ways to take advantage of all of its perks.
Official application link for the Amex Platinum card and its 100,000-point welcome offer.
#1. Book now, travel later: Use the $200 hotel credit
One of the principal benefits of the Amex Platinum is the up-to-$200 annual statement credit on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings. The FHR program gets you the following perks:
- Room upgrade upon arrival, when available at check-in.
- Daily breakfast for two people.
- Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout and noon check-in, when available.
- When a property includes Wi-Fi in a mandatory resort fee, you’ll receive a daily credit.
- An experience credit that usually consists of a property, dining or spa credit.
Meanwhile, The Hotel Collection’s perks include a room upgrade at check-in when available, up to a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa and resort activities and the ability to use Pay with Points on prepaid bookings.
#2. Register for your annual airline fee credit
You’ll get an annual up-to-$200 airline fee statement credit for the airline of your choice. Select your desired airline on the Amex website before making a purchase, and you’ll get to use the credit for fees such as lounge passes, seat assignments, onboard snacks, checked bags and more. Note that the airline credit won’t apply for new reservations or taxes and fees on award bookings.
Since you only get to pick one airline annually, we recommend choosing one with which you don’t already hold elite status. Or, an airline you often fly — but not enough to hold elite status — will be a strong contender.
#3. Stretch out, relax: Get access to 1,300+ airport lounges
- Amex Centurion Lounges.
- Priority Pass Lounges (request your membership card here).
- Delta Sky Clubs (when flying same-day Delta).
- Airspace Lounges.
- Escape Lounges.
- Plaza Premium Lounges.
#4. Enroll in the $200 Uber Cash credit
Amex Platinum cardholders get up to $15 in Uber Cash credit each month, plus an additional up to $20 in December. While credits don’t roll over month to month, that adds up to $200 in Uber Cash each calendar year (for U.S. services).
Platinum cardholders will also enjoy these other Uber benefits:
- Automatic Uber VIP status.
- 12 months of complimentary Uber Eats Pass (if you enroll by Dec. 31, 2021) to get unlimited deliveries with no fee, plus 5% off restaurant orders of $15 or greater at eligible restaurants (taxes and service fees may apply and don’t count toward order minimum). Members in select markets will also get free grocery delivery on orders over $30. After this period, Uber Eats Pass will auto-bill at $10 per month.
#5. Apply for Global Entry and TSA Precheck
When you enroll in this trusted-traveler program with your new Amex Platinum card, you’ll get a statement credit for up to $100 to your account to cover the application cost (and again upon renewal). Global Entry also gives you automatic access to TSA PreCheck, making it much easier to go through airport security checkpoints.
#6. Sign up for Clear
Among the newer benefits of the Amex Platinum is the statement credit for a Clear membership, which normally costs $179 a year.
Clear has a separate line to handle travelers’ identity verification and security screening via a fingerprint or iris scan. Once approved, you’re escorted by a Clear employee to the top of the TSA PreCheck line (or regular line if you don’t have PreCheck) to an agent for final approval. As TSA checkpoint lines continue to grow, having both Clear and TSA PreCheck can save you a lot of time at the airport.
#7. It pays to be elite: Request Gold status from Hilton and Marriott
Having the Platinum card means you are eligible for Gold status with both the Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy loyalty programs, for perks such as bonus points and potential room upgrades. Enroll for Hilton Honors Gold on the Amex website, and call 1-800-525-3355 to enroll for Marriott Bonvoy Gold.
#8. Beat the rental car shortage with car rental elite status
With a limited supply of cars at record-high daily rates, elite status can be the difference between getting a car — or not — depending on where you’re trying to rent. In addition to hotel elite status, you are also eligible for status with the following car rental programs:
You can enroll for each program on the Amex website here.
#9. Scoop up your digital entertainment credits
Among the newer perks of the Amex Platinum is the up to $240 digital entertainment credit, broken down to up to $20 in monthly statement credits when you pay for these participating subscription services:
- The New York Times
While the list of eligible providers remains short, we hope to see Amex add other streaming service options in the coming months.
#10. Consider these other small but mighty benefits
While we’ve outlined our 10 favorite benefits from the Amex Platinum, there are plenty of other enticing benefits worth looking into:
Treat yourself with an annual $100 statement credit for Saks Fifth Avenue
This Saks Fifth Avenue benefit is broken down to $50 in statement credits from January through June and up to $50 in statement credits from July through December.
Fitness lovers, rejoice: Annual $300 statement credit for Equinox
Broken down to $25 per month, this new Equinox credit applies to monthly Equinox All Access, Destination, E by Equinox membership fees, or for the Equinox+ fitness app.
Book all of your travel needs through the Amex Travel portal
Whether you’re searching for a flight or hotel, Platinum cardholders can book (and redeem their points for) travel reservations through the Amex Travel portal.
Contact the Platinum Concierge
Outsource your to-do list to the Platinum Concierge, a special phone service that helps you with various bookings and arrangements. You’ll need to call to activate this benefit. There are also Platinum Travel counselors available to provide you with custom itineraries and tailored recommendations.
Add up to three authorized users
You can add up to three authorized users to your Platinum card for a total of $175 per year (see rates and fees), which can really help you maximize the value you’re already getting from being a cardholder. Authorized users are eligible for many of the same benefits as the main accountholder, including lounge access, Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement, hotel elite status and Fine Hotels + Resorts benefits. However, authorized users don’t get their own Uber credit or separate airline incidental credits.
Get perks at high-end hotels and restaurants
As mentioned earlier, you’ll get elite-like benefits at top hotels when booked through the Amex Fine Hotels + Resorts program or The Hotel Collection. In addition, you’ll have access to The Global Dining Collection gets you special access to fine dining restaurants around the world. The program also includes events with top chefs and Michelin-star restaurants worldwide.
Love cruises? Check out the American Express Cruise Privileges Program
The Amex Cruise program offers exclusive benefits and complimentary amenities of eligible sailings of five nights or greater when you book with your Amex Platinum. For e
Not just Amazon: Get free two-day shipping at thousands of stores with ShopRunner
You’ll get free two-day shipping and free return shipping when you pay for eligible items with your Amex Platinum at participating online stores through the ShopRunner program. Enroll for the service on here.
If you’re able to maximize every statement credit that’s on the Amex Platinum, you’re looking at a value of more than $1,400 per year. Even if you can’t make use of every single credit on the card — and nobody expects you to — accessing the Amex Global Lounge Collection alone is key for frequent travelers. Throw in the 100k-welcome offer worth $2,000 based on TPG’s valuations, and this is the most prized card on the market.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, please click here.
Official application link: Amex Platinum for 100,000 bonus miles after spending $6,000 or more in six months.
Check the CardMatch tool to see if you’re targeted for a 125,000 or 150,000-point Platinum card offer. These offers are subject to change at any time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees