Deal alert: 9 flights you can book right now for under $99
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now’s a great time to book domestic flights for later in the year or early 2022. We’re currently seeing some cross-country flights available starting as low as $49 one-way.
Some routes on sale include Los Angeles (LAX) to Miami (MIA), San Francisco (SFO) to New York-JFK, LAX to Philadelphia (PHL), Newark (EWR) to Seattle (SEA), among others. American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta, JetBlue and United are offering these low fares.
American Airlines is offering the best deals as many of its lowest fares book into standard economy. That means that you’ll be able to select your seat in advance, make free changes, earn full elite-qualifying miles and elites will be eligible for free upgrades.
Meanwhile, all of the lowest fares offered by the other airlines book into basic economy, meaning added fees and more restrictions. That said, you can combat some of the negative aspects of basic economy by using your airline elite status or a carrier’s cobranded credit card.
Here’s a look at the top nine deals currently available. As you’ll see, there are also some cheap opportunities to upgrade to a fully refundable fare. Normally, refundable fares are at least double the cost of nonrefundable ones.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, United
Routes: LAX/LAS/SAN/SEA/SFO/PDX to/from BOS/EWR/FLL/JFK/MIA/ORD/PHL
Cost: From $49 one-way in standard economy
Dates: Now through early July 2021
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Los Angeles (LAX) to Miami (MIA) for $49 one-way in American standard economy
Los Angeles (LAX) to Chicago (ORD) for $49 one-way in American standard economy
Las Vegas (LAS) to Miami (MIA) for $58 one-way in American standard economy
San Francisco (SFO) to New York-JFK for $76 one-way in Delta basic economy
Portland (PDX) to New York-JFK for $77 one-way in JetBlue blue basic
Los Angeles (LAX) to Philadelphia (PHL) for $89 one-way in American standard economy
Los Angeles (LAX) to New York-JFK for $94 one-way in American standard economy
Newark (EWR) to Seattle (SEA) for $96 one-way in United basic economy
Seattle (SEA) to Boston (BOS) for $98 one-way in Alaska Airlines basic economy
How to book
There are no tricks to find these fares. Just head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination cities. Use the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you and then click through to book with the airline directly or an OTA, such as Expedia or Priceline.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees