Deal Alert: US to Southeast Asia and Hong Kong From $403 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to Southeast Asia and Hong Kong are on sale with many Asia-based airlines. You can fly from West Coast cities like Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) or Manila (MNL) in the low $400s or from the East Coast starting in the $500s. Cheap trips to Hong Kong (HKG) and Saigon (SGN) can be had, too. Many departure cities are available, so plug in your preferred origin and destination and see what fares appear. Most tickets should come with a free checked bag, meal and seat selection.
Do note that some of the cheapest fares have long layovers on one of the return legs of the journey.
If you do end up going to Bangkok, make sure you avoid these typical mistakes many tourists make in the city. Those who choose Hong Kong can redeem their points for one of the many hotels on the island.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline, Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Air China, American, Asiana, China Southern, China Eastern, Hainan, Hong Kong Airlines
Routes: LAX/SEA/SFO/JFK/EWR/BOS/LAS/SAN/IAD/ORD and likely more to BKK/HKG/MNL/SGN
Cost: $403+ round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: February – May, September – November
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $403 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Manila (MNL) for $417 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $432 round-trip on China Southern via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $438 round-trip nonstop on American:
New York (EWR) to Bangkok (BKK) for $532 round-trip on Air China via Expedia:
Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $537 round-trip on Asiana via Orbitz:
Washington DC (IAD) to Saigon (SGN) for $539 round-trip on Air China via Expedia:
Chicago (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $624 round-trip on Hainan:
Boston (BOS) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $653 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured photo by SeanPavonePhoto / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees