This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
A very interesting group of deals are popping up for flights from the US to Rome on full-service carriers like Delta, Alitalia, British Airways, Iberia and more. Discounted departures are available from Cleveland (CLE), New York (JFK), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), San Francisco (SFO) and Miami (MIA) from $296 round-trip. And if you didn’t already have the Eternal City on your bucket list, here’s some Trip-spiration:
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Delta, Alitalia, British Airways, Iberia, Air Canada, SWISS
Routes: CLE/JFK/FLL/MIA/SFO to FCO
Cost: $296+ round-trip
Travel Dates: January-February, April-May 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Cleveland (CLE) to Rome (FCO) for $296 round-trip on Delta/Alitalia in January:
Cleveland (CLE) to Rome (FCO) for $296 round-trip on Delta/Alitalia in February:
Cleveland (CLE) to Rome (FCO) for $296 round-trip on Delta/Alitalia in April:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $340 round-trip on British Airways and Iberia (via American):
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Rome (FCO) for $365 round-trip on Air Canada:
Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) for $381 round-trip on SWISS (via United):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Victor Walsh Photography via Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees