Deal Alert: US to Cancún From $152 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Sick of the cold? Well, you’re in luck — flights to Cancún, Mexico are on sale, with prices for round-trip flights as low as $152. You can fly from Dallas (DFW), Miami (MIA), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), New York (JFK), Washington D.C. (BWI), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Houston (IAH), Washington D.C. (BWI) and Boston (BOS) to Cancún (CUN) on a vast array of dates between February and June 2019. It’s possible other departure cities are available too, so plug in your city to see if it has discounted flights.
For this sale, most tickets available are in basic economy, which means you will be charged for a checked bag and seat selection. However, this can be avoided by having airline elite status or a using a co-branded airline credit card.
The Maldives? Overwater bungalows are closer than you think. The El Dorado Maroma is just 35 minutes from the Cancun airport and features these epic rooms:
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: American, Interjet, Jetblue, United, Delta
Routes: DFW/MIA/FLL/JFK/ORD/LAX/IAH/BWI/BOS and likely more to CUN
Cost: $152+ round-trip
Travel Dates: February-June 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancún (CUN) for $152 round-trip nonstop in basic economy on American Airlines:
Miami (MIA) to Cancún (CUN) for $172 round-trip nonstop in basic economy on American Airlines:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Cancún (CUN) for $172 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
New York (JFK) to Cancún (CUN) for $234 round-trip on Interjet via Expedia:
Chicago (ORD) to Cancún (CUN) for $242 round-trip nonstop in basic economy on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancún (CUN) for $260 round-trip nonstop on Interjet via Expedia:
Houston (IAH) to Cancún (CUN) for $264 round-trip nonstop in basic economy on United:
Washington D.C. (BWI) to Cancún (CUN) for $289 round-trip in basic economy on American Airlines:
Boston (BOS) to Cancún (CUN) for $294 round-trip in basic economy on Delta:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Gerson Repreza via Unsplash
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.