Deal Alert: Flights to Africa From $564 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We haven’t seen deals this low to Africa in a while, but we’re seeing great availability from US cities such as New York (JFK), Washington (IAD) and Houston (IAH) starting at just $564 round-trip.
The deals aren’t just clustered in one part of the continent, either, with cheap fares to Lomé (LFW), Johannesburg (JNB) and Nairobi (NBO). Keep in mind that some of the stops in Europe have long layovers in cities such as London (LHR). The deals to South Africa were first reported by Scott’s Cheap Flights, and are available from September through the spring of 2020. You may have to search through Priceline to find the low prices to Johannesburg.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Air France, Brussels Airlines, KLM, Kenya Airways, Delta, Virgin Atlantic
Routes: JFK/IAD/IAH/ORD/SEA/SFO to LFW/JNB/NBO
Cost: $564+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2019 – May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Washington (IAD) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $564 round-trip on Virgin Atlantic via Priceline:
Houston (IAH) to Nairobi (NBO) for $578 round-trip on KLM:
New York (JFK) to Lomé (LFW) for $588 round-trip on Air France:
Houston (IAH) to Lagos (LOS) for $590 round-trip on Delta:
Chicago (ORD) to Lagos (LOS) for $590 round-trip on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Lagos (LOS) for $590 round-trip on Delta:
New York (JFK) to Abidjan (ABJ) for $607 round-trip on Brussels Airlines:
Washington (IAD) to Abidjan (ABJ) for $607 round-trip on Brussels Airlines:
New York (JFK) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $616 round-trip on Virgin Atlantic via Priceline:
Seattle (SEA) to Nairobi (NBO) for $616 round-trip on KLM:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by SL_Photography / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees