Deal Alert: US to Costa Rica From $227 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to Costa Rica from US cities are on sale for prices as low as $227 round-trip. You can fly from Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), Atlanta (ATL), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS) and San Francisco (SFO) to San José (SJO) and Liberia (LIR) on full-service carriers like JetBlue, Delta, United and American Airlines. Some of these flights are in basic economy, so be aware of fees on checked luggage and seat selection — a co-branded credit card can help get around some of these extra costs.
If you’re traveling to Costa Rica with your family and want to do more than laze on the beach, there’s no shortage of outdoor activities for people of all ages to enjoy like zip-lining, kayaking and white water rafting. Don’t be afraid to get adventurous! And if you find yourself still unsure of what to do when you land in San José or Liberia, check out Get Your Guide for a list of the best activities in Costa Rica.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Routes: MCO/FLL/MIA/EWR/BWI/BOS/SFO/PHL/ORD/LAX/ATL to SJO/LIR
Cost: $227+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: February to May, September to November 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Orlando (MCO) to San José (SJO) for $227 round-trip on American Airlines:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to San José (SJO) for $256 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San José (SJO) for $259 round-trip on Copa via Priceline:
Baltimore (BWI) to San José (SJO) for $299 round-trip on Delta:
Newark (EWR) to Liberia (LIR) for $329 round-trip nonstop on United:
Boston (BOS) to San José (SJO) for $331 round-trip on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to San José (SJO) for $333 round-trip on Delta:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) American Express® Gold Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Marco Simoni via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees