Deal Alert: US Cities to Nairobi From $569 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re seeing widespread availability from major US cities like San Francisco (SFO), New York (JFK) and Seattle (SEA) to Nairobi, Kenya (NBO) on SkyTeam airlines such as KLM, Kenya Airways and Delta. We’re also seeing discounted flights from Atlanta (ATL) to the Kenyan capital on Lufthansa. Flights are starting at just $569 round-trip and are available from September through the beginning of June.
Once in Nairobi, you can visit the famous Giraffe Center nature park and the Maasai Market (which will ship goods over $50 to the U.S.). Additionally, Nairobi is a great jumping-off point if you’re wanting to go on safari in one of Kenya’s many game parks.
To search, head to Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: KLM, Delta, Kenya Airways, Lufthansa
Routes: SEA/SFO/JFK/LAX/ORD/IAH/ATL/BOS to NBO
Cost: $569+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2019 – June 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Nairobi (NBO) for $569 round-trip on KLM:
Seattle (SEA) to Nairobi (NBO) for $569 round-trip on Delta, KLM and Kenya:
New York (JFK) to Nairobi (NBO) for $569 round-trip on Delta:
Chicago (ORD) to Nairobi (NBO) for $569 round-trip on KLM:
Houston (IAH) to Nairobi (NBO) for $569 round-trip on KLM via Delta:
Atlanta (ATL) to Nairobi (NBO) for $584 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Boston (BOS) to Nairobi (NBO) for $588 round-trip on Delta and Kenya Airways:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.