Deal Alert: US Cities to Kenya From $566 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights from major cities around the country such as New York (JFK/EWR), Atlanta (ATL), Washington DC (IAD), Boston (BOS) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Nairobi (NBO) are currently on sale for as low $566 round-trip.
The low fares are available for dates in the fall, and there’s even some Thanksgiving availability. All of the fares are in economy and include stops both ways in several European cities.
Nairobi, which is considered the financial capital of East Africa, is quickly gaining notice as a popular travel destination. Kenya Airways, the country’s flag carrier, offers non-stop service between Nairobi and New York (JFK), though last year it scaled back its daily flights between the two cities. Once in Nairobi, you can visit the famous Giraffe Center nature park and the Maasai Market (which will ship goods over $50 to the U.S.).
To search, use Google Flights and enter your departure and destination cities. Use the calendar function to find the best dates and prices that work for you. You can then book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Delta, Kenya Airways, KLM, Air France
Routes: BOS/JFK/EWR/LAX/IAD/ATL to NBO
Cost: $566+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September – November 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Nairobi (NBO) for $566 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Boston (BOS) to Nairobi (NBO) for $588 round-trip on Delta:
Newark (EWR) to Nairobi (NBO) for $566 round-trip United/Lufthansa:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nairobi (NBO) for $645 round-trip on Delta:
Atlanta (ATL) to Nairobi (NBO) for $643 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Washington (IAD) to Nairobi (NBO) for $696 round-trip on KLM/Kenya Airways/Air France:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Airfare Watchdog
Featured photo by Getty Images.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.