Deal Alert: US Cities to Kenya From $566 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights from major cities around the country such as New York (JFK/EWR), Atlanta (ATL), Washington DC (IAD), Boston (BOS) and Los Angeles (LAX) to Nairobi (NBO) are currently on sale for as low $566 round-trip.
The low fares are available for dates in the fall, and there’s even some Thanksgiving availability. All of the fares are in economy and include stops both ways in several European cities.
Nairobi, which is considered the financial capital of East Africa, is quickly gaining notice as a popular travel destination. Kenya Airways, the country’s flag carrier, offers non-stop service between Nairobi and New York (JFK), though last year it scaled back its daily flights between the two cities. Once in Nairobi, you can visit the famous Giraffe Center nature park and the Maasai Market (which will ship goods over $50 to the U.S.).
To search, use Google Flights and enter your departure and destination cities. Use the calendar function to find the best dates and prices that work for you. You can then book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: Lufthansa, United, Swiss, Delta, Kenya Airways, KLM, Air France
Routes: BOS/JFK/EWR/LAX/IAD/ATL to NBO
Cost: $566+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: September – November 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Nairobi (NBO) for $566 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Boston (BOS) to Nairobi (NBO) for $588 round-trip on Delta:
Newark (EWR) to Nairobi (NBO) for $566 round-trip United/Lufthansa:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Nairobi (NBO) for $645 round-trip on Delta:
Atlanta (ATL) to Nairobi (NBO) for $643 round-trip on Lufthansa:
Washington (IAD) to Nairobi (NBO) for $696 round-trip on KLM/Kenya Airways/Air France:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Airfare Watchdog
Featured photo by Getty Images.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees