Deal Alert: US Cities to Asia From $367 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’re seeing great deals to Asia from around the US, including Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), Boston (BOS) and more starting at just $367 round-trip. Cheap flights are available to Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Bangkok (BKK), Beijing (PEK) and many other popular destinations. All fares are in economy and include layovers in the US or Asia. It appears that the most widespread deals are to Shanghai (PVG).
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: Air Canada, United, ANA, China Southern, China Eastern, Xiamen, Delta
Routes: JFK/EWR/LAX/LAS/SFO/ORD/PHL/BOS to PVG/BKK/PNH/SGN/KUL/PEK/HKT
Cost: $367+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Shanghai (PVG) for $367 round-trip on Air Canada:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Shanghai (PVG) for $399 round-trip on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok (BKK) for $419 round-trip on Xiamen:
New York (JFK) to Phnom Penh (PNH) for $423 round-trip on China Eastern:
Chicago (ORD) to Shanghai (PVG) for $451 round-trip on Alaska and Hainan:
New York (JFK) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $493 round-trip on China Eastern:
Newark (EWR) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $511 round-trip on United and ANA:
Baltimore (BWI) to Beijing (PEK) for $519 round-trip on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Phuket (HKT) for $532 round-trip on China Southern:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Elen Turner / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.