This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Many of Canada’s most popular destinations are beautiful in the fall, and if you book now, it won’t cost you as much to get there. Air Canada, Delta and WestJet are currently offering discounted flights from many US cities, including Los Angeles (LAX), Denver (DEN) and Phoenix (PHX), to Calgary (YYC) and Vancouver (YVR) from just $145 round-trip. Air Canada and Delta’s discounted fares are for their basic economy products. While both fare types include carry-on bags, you won’t earn miles with an Air Canada basic economy ticket.
Finding these bargains is easy. Just head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure city. After finding dates that work best for you, book with the airline directly or with an OTA such as Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: Air Canada, Delta, WestJet
Routes: ATL/DEN/IAH/LAS/LAX/PHX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SJC/SMF to YVR/YYC
Cost: $145+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August – December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Calgary (YYC) in August for $145 round-trip on Air Canada via Expedia:
Phoenix (PHX) to Vancouver (YVR) in September for $208 round-trip on Delta via Expedia:
Denver (DEN) to Calgary (YYC) in September for $215 round-trip on WestJet via Expedia:
San Francisco (SFO) to Calgary (YYC) in October for $218 round-trip on Delta/WestJet via Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Vancouver (YVR) in December for $222 round-trip on WestJet via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Scott’s Cheap Flights
Featured image by Photography by Harry Traeger / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees