This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter is coming, and while the Northeast may not be in danger of a White Walker invasion (yet), the accompanying seasonal depression is real. Fortunately, Alaska Airlines has an extremely affordable escape for northern dwellers, with access to Vitamin D in Los Angeles (LAX) and San Diego (SAN) available starting from $196 round-trip. If you happen to have access to an Alaska companion fare, your friend or family member’s cost will be further reduced. You’ll earn 4,850 Alaska miles on the Newark to San Diego route, which are worth about $87 according to TPG’s points and miles valuations.
Alaska is actually offering a significant fare sale from almost all of its airports, so it’s worth poking through the site to see what’s available in your city. Other great fares include Austin and San Diego from $89 one-way, Orlando to San Diego from $99 one-way and Chicago to San Francisco from $119 one-way.
Routes: JFK/EWR/BOS/BWI/MCO to LAX/SAN
Cost: $196+ round-trip in full fare economy
Dates: October 2018 – April 2019
Purchase By: October 11, 2018
Booking Link: Use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book directly with Alaska
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip-delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by @gersonrepreza via Unsplash.com.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards