This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter is coming, and while the Northeast may not be in danger of a White Walker invasion (yet), the accompanying seasonal depression is real. Fortunately, Alaska Airlines has an extremely affordable escape for northern dwellers, with access to Vitamin D in Los Angeles (LAX) and San Diego (SAN) available starting from $196 round-trip. If you happen to have access to an Alaska companion fare, your friend or family member’s cost will be further reduced. You’ll earn 4,850 Alaska miles on the Newark to San Diego route, which are worth about $87 according to TPG’s points and miles valuations.
Alaska is actually offering a significant fare sale from almost all of its airports, so it’s worth poking through the site to see what’s available in your city. Other great fares include Austin and San Diego from $89 one-way, Orlando to San Diego from $99 one-way and Chicago to San Francisco from $119 one-way.
Routes: JFK/EWR/BOS/BWI/MCO to LAX/SAN
Cost: $196+ round-trip in full fare economy
Dates: October 2018 – April 2019
Purchase By: October 11, 2018
Booking Link: Use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book directly with Alaska
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card, Citi ThankYou Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip-delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi ThankYou Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by @gersonrepreza via Unsplash.com.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees