Deal Alert: Transcon Flights From $93 One-Way, Great Availability Around Holidays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
This has been a particularly great season for flight deals. This week alone, we’ve published a number of amazing fares to Spain, Hawaii and other exotic locations for much less than the usual going rate. But sometimes, you just need to get from one coastline to another, whether it’s to visit family back home, to position yourself for a longer international trip or just to get away and explore all this great country has to offer.
Right now, the airlines and their fare competition are conspiring in your favor. A number of nonstop and one-stop routes between the East and West Coasts are going for less than a Benjamin Franklin in each direction. Even better, these prices are widely available from April all the way through mid-February 2020, including around major holidays such as Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
While we highly suggest planning out your travel calendar and booking these cheap fares ahead of time, be sure to check the fine print on the flights you purchase to ensure you know all the fare restrictions, as many are in basic economy. If you need to change your plans down the road, it could be costly to since most basic economy tickets don’t allow changes, even for a fee.
A co-brand credit card can help get around some of basic economy’s restrictions, including better boarding groups and a free checked bag.
Airlines: American, Delta, JetBlue, Alaska
Routes: LGA/BOS/JFK/PHL/BWI/MCO/MIA/RDU to/from SFO/SJC/PHX/LAX/SEA
Cost: $93+ one-way, $187+ round-trip
Travel Dates: Most dates between April 2019 and February 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Boston (BOS) for $98 nonstop one-way in basic economy on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Orlando (MCO) from $117 one-way in basic economy on American:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Orlando (MCO) from $187 nonstop round-trip in basic economy on Delta:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Baltimore (BWI) from $199 nonstop round-trip on Alaska:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Teresa Barajas via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees