Deal Alert: Experience Both Tokyo and Bangkok From NYC for $652 R/T
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
On rare occasions, a multi-city deal comes along that allows travelers to experience two cities for the price of one — and this is one of them. If you’re willing to plan a trip months in advance, you can now book flights from New York City to both Tokyo and Bangkok for just $652 round-trip. This multi-city deal lets travelers spend multiple days in each city, allowing you the chance to experience the best of both Tokyo and Bangkok.
This multi-city deal is priced below the normal price of a round-trip ticket from New York City to Tokyo alone, much less including a stop in Bangkok. Additionally, if you’re looking to earn miles, this deal would allow you to rack up a substantial amount of miles through United’s MileagePlus program. All sub-$700 fares are on Star Alliance partners, specifically ANA, which means you can credit this journey to a variety of frequent flyer programs.
Both Tokyo and Bangkok feature numerous luxury and mid-tier hotels offering reasonable award redemption rates. In Tokyo, you can redeem 60,000 Bonvoy points for a night at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo, while in Bangkok, 35,000 Bonvoy points get you a night at the St. Regis Bangkok.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Unfortunately, the calendar function does not work for multi-city flights, which means you might have to work to find your perfect dates. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: All Nippon Airways (ANA) and some Star Alliance partners
Cost: $652+ round-trip
Travel Dates: Select dates in January 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) to Tokyo (HND) to New York (JFK) on ANA:
New York (JFK) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) to Tokyo (HND) to New York (JFK) via United:
This deal is available throughout January and February 2020 via ANA:
This deal can be booked on numerous airline websites and OTAs:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees