Deal Alert: Experience Both Tokyo and Bangkok From NYC for $652 R/T
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
On rare occasions, a multi-city deal comes along that allows travelers to experience two cities for the price of one — and this is one of them. If you’re willing to plan a trip months in advance, you can now book flights from New York City to both Tokyo and Bangkok for just $652 round-trip. This multi-city deal lets travelers spend multiple days in each city, allowing you the chance to experience the best of both Tokyo and Bangkok.
This multi-city deal is priced below the normal price of a round-trip ticket from New York City to Tokyo alone, much less including a stop in Bangkok. Additionally, if you’re looking to earn miles, this deal would allow you to rack up a substantial amount of miles through United’s MileagePlus program. All sub-$700 fares are on Star Alliance partners, specifically ANA, which means you can credit this journey to a variety of frequent flyer programs.
Both Tokyo and Bangkok feature numerous luxury and mid-tier hotels offering reasonable award redemption rates. In Tokyo, you can redeem 60,000 Bonvoy points for a night at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo, while in Bangkok, 35,000 Bonvoy points get you a night at the St. Regis Bangkok.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Unfortunately, the calendar function does not work for multi-city flights, which means you might have to work to find your perfect dates. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: All Nippon Airways (ANA) and some Star Alliance partners
Cost: $652+ round-trip
Travel Dates: Select dates in January 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) to Tokyo (HND) to New York (JFK) on ANA:
New York (JFK) to Tokyo (NRT) to Bangkok (BKK) to Tokyo (HND) to New York (JFK) via United:
This deal is available throughout January and February 2020 via ANA:
This deal can be booked on numerous airline websites and OTAs:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.