Today Only: Fly Southwest to International Destinations From $59 or 2,340 Points One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the next few days, Southwest can get you to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean for the cost of a fancy steak dinner. And if you got in on the epic Companion Pass promotional offer earlier this year, you could bring a buddy along for free (just pay the taxes and fees).
The sale fares are available from a number of domestic departure cities, although the best fares originate out of Florida (Fort Lauderdale to Grand Cayman and Nassau / Tampa to Havana from $59 one-way) and San Diego (to Cabo San Lucas from $99 one-way). Note that you will have to cover the cost of taxes and fees on Rapid Rewards award redemptions, which can add up to almost $100 round-trip on some international routes. Some domestic flights are also on sale, although most aren’t particularly noteworthy. To see the entire list of routes on sale, click here.
Keep in mind that if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and see that it’s decreased in price since originally purchased, you can request the difference in fare with no change fees. Don’t forget that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest miles for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
While some of these prices aren’t as dirt cheap as other airlines’ basic economy fares, keep in mind that Southwest doesn’t charge for the first two checked bags which can help keep the cost of your trip down.
Book by 11:59 pm local time today, April 25, to lock in these fares for travel between August 20 and October 31, although we’ve spotted some sale fares on select routes for May/June dates. All tickets purchased during this promotion are nonrefundable.
Routes: ABQ/FLL/ATL/AUS/BWI/BHM/HOU/LAS/LAX/PHX/SAN/DCA/MDW/CLE/DAL/DEN/MCI/STL and more to AUA/SJO/CUN/BZE/MBJ/PLS/NAS/HAV and more
Cost: From $59 or 2,340 Southwest points + $5.60 one-way
Travel Dates: 8/20/2019-10/31/19
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Grand Cayman Island (GCM) for 4,680 points + $90 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Grand Cayman Island (GCM) for $192 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) for $215 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for 6,786 points + $95 round-trip:
San Diego (SAN) to Cabo San Lucas (SJD) for 6,396 points + $91 round-trip :
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees