Today Only: Fly Southwest to International Destinations From $59 or 2,340 Points One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the next few days, Southwest can get you to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean for the cost of a fancy steak dinner. And if you got in on the epic Companion Pass promotional offer earlier this year, you could bring a buddy along for free (just pay the taxes and fees).
The sale fares are available from a number of domestic departure cities, although the best fares originate out of Florida (Fort Lauderdale to Grand Cayman and Nassau / Tampa to Havana from $59 one-way) and San Diego (to Cabo San Lucas from $99 one-way). Note that you will have to cover the cost of taxes and fees on Rapid Rewards award redemptions, which can add up to almost $100 round-trip on some international routes. Some domestic flights are also on sale, although most aren’t particularly noteworthy. To see the entire list of routes on sale, click here.
Keep in mind that if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and see that it’s decreased in price since originally purchased, you can request the difference in fare with no change fees. Don’t forget that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest miles for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
While some of these prices aren’t as dirt cheap as other airlines’ basic economy fares, keep in mind that Southwest doesn’t charge for the first two checked bags which can help keep the cost of your trip down.
Book by 11:59 pm local time today, April 25, to lock in these fares for travel between August 20 and October 31, although we’ve spotted some sale fares on select routes for May/June dates. All tickets purchased during this promotion are nonrefundable.
Routes: ABQ/FLL/ATL/AUS/BWI/BHM/HOU/LAS/LAX/PHX/SAN/DCA/MDW/CLE/DAL/DEN/MCI/STL and more to AUA/SJO/CUN/BZE/MBJ/PLS/NAS/HAV and more
Cost: From $59 or 2,340 Southwest points + $5.60 one-way
Travel Dates: 8/20/2019-10/31/19
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Grand Cayman Island (GCM) for 4,680 points + $90 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Grand Cayman Island (GCM) for $192 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) for $215 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Puerto Vallarta (PVR) for 6,786 points + $95 round-trip:
San Diego (SAN) to Cabo San Lucas (SJD) for 6,396 points + $91 round-trip :
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees