This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After becoming ubiquitous in Europe, FlixBus launched its first US routes on May 31. Having used FlixBus often in Europe, we were curious to see how the big green bus did here in the US. So, TPG contributor Katie Genter made sure to be on board to review the inaugural bus from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. While it’s not as nice as flying in a semi-private jet between the two cities, FlixBus is a step-up from Megabus.
However, it doesn’t seem like bookings have taken off like the company hoped. So, FlixBus has launched a flash sale with rides available for just $0.99 one-way plus a $2 booking fee.
Before we get into the details and examples, here’s FlixBus’ current route map for reference if this deal is relevant for you:
Cost: $3+ one-way
Dates: now through September 5
Book by: midnight Pacific Time on August 9
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel) or Citi Prestige (1x but good trip delay insurance)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles to San Francisco for $3 one-way:
Phoenix to Las Vegas for $3 one-way:
San Diego to Los Angeles from $3 one-way:
Las Vegas to Los Angeles from $7 one-way:
Best Credit Card to Use
Since these are prices really cheap, it’s going to be more important to use a credit card that offers travel protection rather than points-earning. Your top options are going to be Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured image by Katie Genter.
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Named a ‘Best Travel Credit Card for 2017’ by MONEY® Magazine
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®