Deal Alert: Nonstop Flights to Spain From $268 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Spain is a popular destination and US airlines from every alliance service Barcelona and Madrid — the abundance of flights means serious competition, so carriers constantly run sales to the country. We’re seeing cheap nonstop flights to both Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD) from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR), Chicago (ORD), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX) with prices starting from $273 round-trip. Or, fly 1-stop from San Francisco (SFO) or San Jose (SJC) to Barcelona (BCN) for $343 round-trip.
Some of these flights are on one of my favorite economy options across the Atlantic — like Iberia’s brand new Airbus A350-900. I got a chance to try out this product right after it was launched on its first transatlantic flights, and it was a solid experience. The cheapest options are in basic economy so you’ll have to pay extra for a checked bag and seat selection.
Note that Iberia Visa Signature Card cardholders can get a slightly discounted price through the card’s 10% discount. However, unlike the British Airways Chase 10% discount — which discounts the fare, taxes and fees on British Airways-operated flights — the Iberia 10% discount only reduces the base fare. And since this base fare is so cheap, the 10% discount only drops the price by $5.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Iberia, Delta, United, American Airlines
Routes: JFK/BOS/EWR/ORD/SFO/SJC/MIA/LAX to MAD/BCN
Cost: $268+ round-trip
Travel Dates: September 2019 through March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $268 round-trip nonstop on Iberia’s new Airbus A350 using the 10% off discount:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $273 round-trip nonstop on Iberia’s new Airbus A350:
Boston (BOS) to Madrid (MAD) for $273 round-trip nonstop on Iberia:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $273 round-trip nonstop in Delta basic economy:
Newark (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) for $287 round-trip nonstop in United basic economy:
Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Barcelona (BCN) for $328 round-trip nonstop in American Airlines basic economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Barcelona (BCN) for $343 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
San Jose (SJC) to Barcelona (BCN) for $343 round-trip in Delta basic economy:
Miami (MIA) to Barcelona (BCN) for $349 round-trip nonstop in American Airlines basic economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Madrid (MAD) for $393 round-trip nonstop on Iberia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by SeanPavonePhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees